Skip to main content

I never did like Yoga.....





I know most yoga is not like this, but this is a bit over the top.....


(photo)


A case report of patient practising yoga leading to dental erosion.
Meshramkar R, Patil SB, Patil NP.


Department of Prosthodontics, SDM College of Dental Sciences and Hospital, Dharwad, Karnataka, India.

The article presents the case of a patient who was practising Yoga (Kunjal kriya) which led to dental erosion. Dental erosion can be due to extrinsic or intrinsic causes. The intrinsic causes include vomiting due to anorexia nervosa, regurgitation due to abnormality in gastro-intestinal tract or rumination. A 38-year-old male patient presented with a rare aetiology of dental erosion. He had practiced kunjal kriya one of the yogic exercises described in ancient India. In kunjal kriya the patient vomits on an empty stomach in order to clean his or her gastro-intestinal tract. The patient had practiced this form of exercise for over 12 years which had led to severe dental erosion. A proper case history should be evaluated for every patient so that they can be counselled for any factors that could be detrimental to dental health. Early diagnosis is paramount in recognising the aetiology of dental erosion so that detrimental effects on the dentition can be prevented.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...