Skip to main content

Insulin, Leptin and fish!

If you have been following Lyle's series on the Hormones of Bodyweight Regulation you will be familiar with the role of Leptin

Leptin signals to the brain that the body has had enough to eat, or satiety. A very small group of humans possess homozygous mutations for the leptin gene which leads to a constant desire for food, resulting in severe obesity. This condition can be successfully treated by the administration of recombinant human leptin.[1] Thus, circulating leptin levels give the brain input regarding energy storage so it can regulate appetite and metabolism. from wiki

Here is an interesting study which looks at Leptin and the way in which fatty fish, in the context of a calorie restricted diet, affects it:

Three servings a week of fatty fish included in an energy-restricted diet appears to be a valid strategy for specifically improving insulin sensitivity and leptin levels

Specific insulin sensitivity and leptin responses to a nutritional treatment of obesity via a combination of energy restriction and fatty fish intake.


Background Nutritional strategies to treat obesity often influence neuroendocrine factors related to body weight control. The present study aimed to investigate whether the inclusion of three fatty fish servings per week within a hypocaloric diet may have specific healthy effects on insulin and leptin functions. Methods Thirty-two subjects (body mass index = 31.6 +/- 3.5 kg m(-2)) aged 36 +/- 7 years, were assigned to a control or fish-based energy-restricted diet over an 8-week period. Anthropometry, body composition, lipid profile, leptin and insulin values were measured at the start and at the end of the dietary intervention. Results Both experimental diets resulted in a similar mean weight loss (control = 5.3 +/- 2.6% versus fish-based = 5.5 +/- 2.5%; P = 0.783). A significant reduction in insulin resistance, as determined by the homeostatic model assessment index (HOMA-IR = insulin x glucose/22.5), was observed after the fish-based intervention. The change in circulating leptin was higher in the fish-based diet compared to the control group. Sixteen percent of the variability in the change of adjusted-leptin could be explained (P = 0.034) by the HOMA index change and the type of diet. Conclusions Three servings a week of fatty fish included in an energy-restricted diet appears to be a valid strategy for specifically improving insulin sensitivity and leptin levels in obese subjects, which could involve a better body weight regulation after a nutritional intervention period.

Comments

Unknown said…
Interesting. Nice find, Chris.
Anonymous said…
Good intell and furtherance of Lyle's leptin discussion.

Which are "fatty fish"? Are they available at the grocery store?

To google I go ...
Chris said…
Fatty fish usually means salmon, mackeral, sardines....
Anonymous said…
The study is misleading. Leptin function first and foremost is survival and managing energy utilization at the hypothalamus. If you eat a hypocaloric diet you are going against leptin regardless of the source (unless it is HFCSwhich leptn cant control because it is a liver toxin and the brain never sees it See Dr Lustig youtube video) Anyone who eats a hypocaloric diet will gain it all back because of leptin. The key to mastering leptin is understanding how it works on an evolotionary level and then institute it into a sequence that the individual finds itself in. If that person is obese and looking to loose weight the key is eating three meals a day and never eating passed 7 PM. And avoid carbs like the plagued at dinner. Why? because leptin spikes two hrs after your last insulin peak at dinner. Insulin is released in a biphasic way. Once insulin falls leptin rises and around midnight it enters the POMC neurons of the hypothalamus (if your not resistant) and sets the metabolic rate gas pedal (thyroid)to burn fats in stage three and four sleep so you burn fats at night. This hormone is designed to work with melatonin but with all the artificial light we have since 1925 in all cities that has gone by the way side. SO managing leptin in the face of an all summer time situation with round the year carbs is even more critical. Omega 3 fishes are important but not what is shown in this study. The design of it shows they are clueless to how this hormone works. And I am a neurosurgeon who knows how it works. Nothing hurts us more than bad info. See Ancel Keys.
viagra online said…
Lepin is the key to a successful bodyweight regulation so i invite every one to use it !

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...