Skip to main content

sandbag half moons

Mountain Athlete Rob gets his guys doing a challenging ab / core move sandbag half moons . Sandbags are great.



He got the move from Catalyst Athletics

Begin with a sandbag lying flat on the ground at one side of your feet. Squat and twist to grab ahold of it, lift and accelerate the bag up and overhead, lowering to the opposite side of your feet. Attempt to maintain as close to a neutral spine position as possible.


I'm not sure what my posture gurus would make of it!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Rounded backs in both videos are a sure sign that neutral posture is not being monitored and coached. With flexion and twisting combined under load these poor backs are being broken down, not strengthened.

Are these people spending money for this?
Chris said…
Anon....I'm actually tempted to agree with you. Given the posture template I'm thinking about now, this doesn't seem natural.
I agree with the first comment. Loading the spine and taking it to end range of motion in flexion and rotation. I have seen people hurt their backs with similar movements (ie using medicine balls).

Why is everyone so intrigued by 'extreme core training?" I have clients with a history of low back pain and they try to avoid these movements at all costs.
Chris said…
Dan thanks for the comment. As I was hinting in my comment re posture, I am tending to agree with you too.

In fact I'm wondering if I should actually leave this post up, as it highlights a move that I would not do myself for fear of injury....
Anonymous said…
Chris, since posture is a point of interest for you I thought I'd send you this URL for your (and your reader's) edification. There is a lot of excellent information on this site.

http://www.healthline.com/blogs/exercise_fitness/
Chris,

I think one issue with training, and more specifically 'core' training is people want to feel the muscles work. If people don't feel certain muscles burning, hurting, soreness, etc., then they feel like the exercise is not effective. In fact, this is a conversation I have with clients pretty regularly. People don't understand that the torso muscles are always working, if they didn't, we wouldn't be able to use our extremities. Also, preventing rotation/flexion/hyperextension is more valuable than actually moving through those movements, in my opinion. If your sport requires rotation, golf, baseball, etc., then maximize hip and shoulder flexibility first. Once that is established, then train the torso to resist rotation, or deceleration. Finally, use light loads that you can throw (to remove the loading at end range of motion).

Great postings on posture.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...