Skip to main content

How bad for you is it to be fat?

Interesting.....



So it is healthy to be fat and fit?

Comments

ネイット said…
I couldn't agree with this guy less.

I can't help but think he knows that he's manipulating the audience when he tosses out phrases like "a fit 240lb. guy". Outside of the NFL, how many of those are there?

The last three minutes of the video go to discussing how HARD it is to lose weight. It's always been hard to lose weight. And pretty well everyone that has managed to go from "fat" to "not" agrees that it's worth the effort. It would seem to be his unstated opinion that it isn't.

He finally says something I think is tough to argue: That extreme and unsafe weight loss measures are no good. But he implies that the government is telling us that they are.

This guy should be in politics, not pop-science.
brian said…
I think there are two issues here. One, BMI is a height-weight ratio. There is no indication/separation of the data regarding composition. W/o question, larger individuals w/ lower body fat are healthier.

And two, I think there is something to be said for a minimum amount of muscle tissue and it being protective, regardless of body fat and metabolic disorders.

Heavier people have more muscle tissue. It's required for movement. That extra muscle mass probably has some protective effect.

I haven't investigated this. It's just observations I've noticed in working with severely overweight people.

And I'm oversimplifying but I think somewhere in there is merit for the additional muscle tissue. And once that tissues starts operating in a manner other than activities of daily living, drastic improvements in health can be seen. Even when they are still on the high end of the bmi scale (> 30).

Those are my thoughts.

Brian
Bruce W. Perry said…
He makes about 50 percent of a valid point here (the social obsession with slimness), and omits other important issues involving excessive weight:

1) The explosion of Type 2 diabetes in the last 10-20 years, a largely preventable disease, and the huge medical costs involved with its treatment (although excessive weight may be one of the *symptoms* of Type 2 rather than the cause: overconsumption of refined carbs and sugar/fructose; and resulting insulin resistance)

2) The crushing of the joints that eventually takes place with obesity (although a lot of skinny people are getting their knees replaced these days too, partly because of excess running rather than weight!)

3) The "starving from within" that can take place among the obese (an element of insulin resistance; see the book Body By Science, which briefly discusses this state).

4) Cardiac remodeling; the heart gets bigger hauling all that extra weight around, and this probably isn't benign.

and on and on...I'm sure I've missed some. The point made by the previous comment hit the nail on the head, that muscle and lean body mass is most protective; the "excessive weight is benign" argument is a bit of a straw man.
Chris said…
It is good that this has prompted some discussion, but I think it needs to be read in the context of the Fat Head piece that I linked to under the video.

Before I understood that carbohydrates were making me fat, I’d try eating less, lose a few pounds, then stall, then give up. Then I’d look at myself in the mirror after my morning shower and think, “You fat @#$%! Why don’t you just stick to a diet and get rid of this blubber?” This is what 40 years of bad dietary advice has done to millions of people.

It is about carbs

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...