Skip to main content

more on those shoes

further to the post from earlier this week on the evils of running shoes, two of my favourite bloggers have picked up on the story....with a lot more incisive comment and analysis than I managed to muster:


first of all mc: Running Shoes as Single Factor Thinking

This is a post about Shoes not as evil, but as it seems a Great Feat of Misdirection. It's a wee bit about our biases towards single factor solutions for complex problems, and the arguments we will have around the Chosen Factor rather than pulling up and back to consider the wider view.




Then Steven Low has updated his fascinating post: Shoes, Sitting and Lower Body Dysfunctions

It is a thorough analysis of how many of the common orthopedic problems today arise from shoes and sitting, how to evaluate their development, and finally a look at how to implement prehabilitation or rehabilitative protocol to improve their condition. I sincerely wish that you will read through the whole thing even though it is a monster. I promise you will come out with a new outlook on this topic.

Comments

WoLong said…
Go to runnersworld.com and see their comments on the same study (look for Peak Performance blog). Both authors of the article have stakes in promoting minimalist shoes. Talk about biases.
BTW, I run in aqua socks.
Chris said…
WoLong - mc addresses that point in her post:

This from an editor of runner's world, where the companies best selling issues are their seasonal reviews of new shoes? Likewise, Kerrigan's disclosed company's technology is not what's studied in the reported experiments. It's pretty hard to find a scientist who doesn't formulate a hypothesis or an objective before beginning a study. What was Kerrigan's?
Objective: To determine the effect of modern-day running shoes on lower extremity joint torques during running.
WoLong said…
Runner World actually has a forum dedicated entirely to barefoot running, so at least they don't seem to be that afraid of shoe companies.
I have nothing against barefoot running, as I said, I run in a pair of $10 Speedo aqua socks. We just need to look at most things from all perspectives.
Chris said…
Agreed, but I think that is what mc is doing
Jordan said…
I also wear aqua socks. Simple, cheap, flat, the material stretches around the foot. I haven't worn much else in a couple of years. I can't stand shoes with heels now, I just refuse to wear them. Water shoes (aqua socks, aqua shoes, whatever! lol) are very comfortable, but because there's no cushion whatsoever, I can sometimes "feel" how hard the road is. It's not painful, but I would rather walk on softer surfaces, which is probably a good idea anyway. I have an old slate road to walk on, and that's worked out well. The only problem is that the soles tend to wear out after four or five months. I have several pairs sitting around that I haven't thrown out yet.

I'm wary of the Vibram's because people have talked about having trouble getting the proper fit when ordering them online. I would like to go to a store and try them on first. I'm not sure if they're sold anywhere near me though. I'll probably buy a pair of Sanuk Vagabonds for something more "presentable" when I go out, lol. They look like a good design and they're affordable, as well.
Steven Low said…
Well, my article is "unbiased" since I receive no money from anyone.

Wish I did though. Then I wouldn't be so poor.

MC is a good guy. Have had some good interaction with him on forums.
Chris said…
Cheers Steven. mc is a girl by the way. I have great respect for her as a trainer and researcher.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...