Skip to main content

Walking


Excellent piece here by Nassim Taleb - Why I do all this Walking, or How Systems become Fragile

This is another application of the barbell strategy: plenty of idleness, some high intensity. The data shows that long, very long walks combined with high intensity exercise outperforms just running.
After my Aha! flash, under guidance from Art de Vany, I embarked on an Extremistan barbell lifestyle: long, very long, slow meditative (or conversational) walks in a stimulating urban setting, but with occasional (and random) very short sprints, making myself angry imagining I were chasing the bankster Robert Rubin with a big stick trying to catch him to bring him to human justice. I went to the weight lifting rooms in a random way for a completely stochastic workout --typically in a hotel when I was on the road.

Like the Grey Swan event, these were very, very rare, but highly consequential weight lifting periods, after a day of semi- starvation, leaving me completely exhausted, then I would be totally sedentary for weeks and hang around cafés. Even the duration of the workouts remained random --but most often very short, less than fifteen minutes.





hat tip to Seth

Comments

John Sifferman said…
This reminds me of something I read over on Frank Forencich's blog about the value of randomness in training:
http://blog.exuberantanimal.com/the-value-of-play-diversity-and-randomness/

I've found in my own practice that a specific skill is better learned when the scope of the skill is varied. I noticed this most obviously when practicing jumping.

I had done box jumps fairly regularly in the past, and had programmed that skill into my body (effectively mastering a 24" box jump where I could perform it with nearly perfect technique every time). However, when I would try a different type of jump (distance or depth, etc.), my technique would be poor.

Now, after I've spent time learning how to jump, just jump, my movement became much smoother and more efficient. This is because I was taught with planned spontaneity. My instructor varied the distances, heights, depths, surfaces, and targets among other things. And today I make much more efficient jumps than I did before.
SerialSinner said…
Thanks a lot for the post and the link to N. N. Taleb's very interesting excerpt.
Anonymous said…
NTT is the man! Black Swan should be required reading.
donny said…
I tried morning walking for about four days after reading your post on the article about exercise and jet lag. I had less of a tendency to hit the snooze button in the morning, and also less of a tendency to play "one more turn" of a strategy video game I play before going to bed. I stopped walking to see what happened, and it's back to the snooze button. So I guess it's back to the walking.
Social anxiety usually keeps me from peeing in smaller public washrooms unless I'm the only one in the whole place. I'm not just talking the urinals, I can't even pee in a stall if there's someone in the next stall. Over the last week I've managed to pee without having to look for an entirely vacant public washroom. This is just anecdote, but it's my anecdote, so I give it some weight. You don't have to. But I really feel that there might be something to this sleep consolidation, being asleep when you're supposed to be asleep, awake when you're supposed to be awake, having a strong effect on day to day mental health.
I guess this doesn't really fit in as a comment to a post about randomness. Some things in our environment, like sun up and sun down don't vary all that much on a day to day basis, so I guess it might make sense that some things like sleep maybe shouldn't either.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...