Skip to main content

Does running make you old or keep you young?

I had a post up a couple of weeks ago pointing to a study that said that the muscles of endurance runners aged in proportion to the amount of running they did. The argument was around the length of telomeres in the muscle cells.


Telomeres are structures at the ends of human chromosomes that protect DNA from damage. To help you visualize them, they are often compared to the little plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces. As cells age and replicate, their telomeres shorten. When telomeres become critically short, cells stop functioning properly. So, the general idea is that telomeres may be a “biological clock” that reflects your physiological age/health more accurately than your chronological age. In other words, the longer the telomeres, the healthier the cells. (from here)

This post is just to note that - as ever - it is a complex business and not as straightforward as it might all seem.


There is another study which says that endurance training keeps cells "younger" with longer telomeres:

Leukocyte telomere length is preserved with aging in endurance exercise-trained adults and related to maximal aerobic capacity.


Our results indicate that Leukocyte Telomere length is preserved in healthy older adults who perform vigorous aerobic exercise and is positively related to maximal aerobic exercise capacity. This may represent a novel molecular mechanism underlying the "anti-aging" effects of maintaining high aerobic fitness.


Of course it is all complex. There is an interesting interview here which goes through the background to this. Telomere length, it says can be affected by:

  • Genetics
  • lack of sleep
  • fish oil (there it is again)
  • stress
  • high blood sugar
So it might not have anything to do with the exercise.

Comments

Dr. B G said…
Great posts Chris!

*haa* 'there it is again'

Both fish oil and vitamin deficiencies are associated with shorter telomeres. Telomeres are great indicators of health/longevity. Healthy glutathione levels are also associated with better telomeres (glutathione is the body's #1 endogenous antioxidant).
Jake said…
Optimum level of Vitamin D also preserves telomere length.
Marnee said…
So in one study we have some very serious, chronic, endurance cardio, and in the other we have a more random sample of men doing cardio but probably on average nothing like the serious runners. So we will naturally see a better distribution of ageing. Yes?
donny said…
So muscles age faster, leukocytes slower? Or something. Maybe it affects leukocyte turnover, or something; do more recently spawned blood cells have longer telomeres?
Anonymous said…
Dr. B.G. --
You just said fish oil is associated with shorter telomeres. Is this what you meant? It seems like an error.
Viagra Online said…
I truly believe that running don't keep you old at all, it's rather going to keep your muscles grow and get stronger.
Running is one of the best way for healthy and fit body. It helps you to get good health, get fresh feeling, get mental stability and get motivation to do some work. It removes the any type of illness.

Regards
Alexa
kamagra jelly
Sildenafil said…
you have to take into account all the aspect before you start a strong workout, speically if you are going to work in increase your muscular rate.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...