Skip to main content

Food Fascists

Good humour from Tom Naughton



Now I am a Brit who thinks the NHS is generally good and can't understand the American horror at the idea of a national health service, but I sympathise with some of the ideas here - usually the fascists want to ban good food and leave the bad. Remember they want to ban butter, but subsidise grain.

Comments

ネイット said…
Man, kill the corn subsidies and the price of sugar goes up, so the price of most of the worst stuff goes up. No tax needed.
The price of meat and dairy would probably increase too, which is a bummer for me, but would also placate those with the "mainstream" conception of healthy. The global obesity epidemic is a pretty hefty cost just to line the coffers of ADM and the like.
As always, thanks for the blogging.
Methuselah said…
I am a liberal fascist. I want to simply ban foods that are bad. Yet I recognise people's right to eat what they want. Where do we draw the line? Most people don't advocate the sale of cocaine in supermarkets. It makes people feel great, but is very bad for them. Chocolate makes people feel quite nice, but in the long term, can be quite bad for you. Like cocaine, it rather depends how sensible you are. Does society suffer in either case? Arguably yes - but does it suffer more when our freedom to make our own choises is removed? Ideally our old friend the mass amnesia machine would come into play. The main problem with banning things to make the world a better place is all the people who can remember its availability...
SportsGuy said…
Well, Methuselah. Why not take your liberal fascism a bit more seriously and contemplate eliminating those people who remember and pine for those bad foods?
Chris said…
Methuselah

I know what you mean. My problem - like I said - is that my definition of what s good / bad doesn't match the rest of society most of the time. I think butter, red meat, cream, eggs etc are healthy et they are the things that the world wants to ban
Methuselah said…
Chris - I guess that's where we'd ideally like to turn to the 'experts' to be objective adjudicators... not much hope of that happening any time soon!

SportsGuy - because that would be fascist fascism ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...