Skip to main content

Natural Physiques

I saw someone had posted this video on their blog today. Say what you want about their form or their old school bodybuilding, I think this is pretty inspiring. Guys who have made their own weights and equipment and are training hard in a difficult and poor part of the world. These guys would be somewhat bemused with all the introspection that we indulge in about training and the sectarian warfare that goes on.



The other thing to note is that these guys will be unlikely to have access to the drugs that pollute much western bodybuilding. What you see in these physiques is probably at the upper end of what is possible naturally for most.

Comments

test said…
Dhani Jones did an episode for his show on the Travel Channel from Africa in the past three or so months that would show similar apparati from the country he visited. He did a local form or wrestling there.
Darrin said…
I agree. This is awesome. One more reason why no one in our affluent society has any excuse to not take 100% responsibility for their health.
Aaron Curl said…
I,m sure these guys don't get the "good" nutrition we have here either. They aren't drinking 5 whey protein drinks a day and getting their 4000 grams of protein I'm sure.
Raymond said…
Yeah amazing and I have to admire that these guys can look like that with what little equipment they have.
Only just don't drop a wheel hub on your foot!
Raymond
Chad said…
ck, I saw that episode, as all the others! I have respect for Mr Jones to go to another country and try to learn their culture and be humbled by the sport. For a professional athlete to be willing to be humbled is not common!
Stargazey said…
That observation about lack of drug enhancement is interesting. From a female perspective, these guys are very good-looking, quite unlike the grotesque American bodybuilders I'm used to seeing.
Awesome video. Thanks for posting it.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...