Skip to main content

So now fat people are more stoopid?

Here is an interesting one.  I've watched a couple of important people in my life decline markedly through various types of dementia recently.  It is really sad to see once vibrant intelligent people so limited by changes in their brains.

Insulin Sensitivity as a Mediator of the Relationship Between BMI and Working Memory-Related Brain Activation

This study has a simple conclusions:  obesity in middle age was related to alterations in brain activation during a cognitive challenge and this association appeared to be mediated by insulin sensitivity.

Insulin sensitivity again.  What can we do to maintain insulin sensitivity?  It is all the regular stuff - low carb/paleo diet, sensible exercise, adequate sleep, minimal chronic stress.....

Comments

Dan said…
I think those are the four pillars of a healthy life. So basic. I don't like how people get so caught up in the specifics and I like the way you jut said low carb/paleo diet, sensible exercise, adequate sleep and minimal stress.
There has been other research linking poor diet and obesity to declined cognitive function. Also linking exercise with improved cognitive function.

I think we've pretty much established that exercise and eating well are good for mind as well as body.
Brian said…
I think it's very common sense that an unhealthy way of living will deteriorate both mind and body in due time.
Unknown said…
Here's a link to another recent article - http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B9BNH-4W3Y780-1K&_user=10&_origUdi=B6WFG-4JD0H89-1&_fmt=high&_coverDate=06%2F10%2F2009&_rdoc=1&_orig=article&_origin=article&_zone=related_ref&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=e8cf3756b9ada3749f34b4eb01a61611 The abstract alone is stunningly blunt.
Elise Lowerison said…
I just came across your health and fitness blog. Your article about overweight people's brains being effected by their poor diets was especially interesting. I especially liked your comments about insulin becoming a key factor in brain activity, which is induced by exercise. I am adding you to my favorites. We're in the same industry, the business of encouraging health and fitness. We market a product called The AbStand: http://www.theabstand.net. We would love for you and your readers to check out our ab workout product. Any feedback would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...