Skip to main content

Doug McGuff - skill.....strength and more

Anthony (Dream) Johnson has posted this excellent video from Doug (I interviewed him here)


He makes some interesting points which relate to the issue I mentioned yesterday  -   skills vs strength.  Skill based movements are inappropriate for developing strength.    For strength you need effort not technique.  However, there is still value in developing appropriate skills....which gets me back to MovNat.....and developing useful survival skills - running, climbing, fighting etc  Doug explains that fighting, self defence is a skill set.....best trained fresh to best train the skills.   Which interestingly is the opposite of the Krav classes where we get beasted first and then train the skills!

The talks from Mark Sisson and Drew Baye are also worth watching.....

Comments

Rafe Kelley said…
Regarding Krav thats the problem I have always had with it. Skill development is best done fresh learning to express skill under fatigue is something that should be built on top of quality movement thats already ingrained.

The rest of of the philosophy of Krav maga has always seemed right on to me but that part makes is illogical to me and prohibitive for someone who trains as much in other areas.

I disagree that skill practice is inappropriate for developing strength.

If you look at disciplines like gymnastics, capoeira, break dance, aerilism, equilibre, you will find extremely strong athletes who have developed that strength primarily through skill practice. You might argue that this practice is less safe then HIT but it is clearly they gain both tremendous strength and extraordinary skill.
Todd Hargrove said…
I agree with the idea of separating skill work and strength work. This works both ways - there are advantages to training for strength while elminating skill demanda (i.e. HIT) and there are advantages to training for skill by eliminating strength and speed demands (i.e. Z-health, feldenkrais, slow mo movement.)

My biggest problem with movnat is that the skills necessarily require strength, speed and power, and are therefore risky.
Unknown said…
I believe that strength is in itself a skill and should be approached as such.
http://weighttrainingforever.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...