Skip to main content

Hillfit thoughts

I have been asked to write a series of articles in a UK backpacking magazine on fitness.  I might use this blog as a place to record some of the ideas that I want to remember to include.  It is hard because there is so much to say.  Yet the focus I want is simplicity. 

The template I am using is
  • Efficiency - best bang for buck, do more with less
  • Fun -  fitness facilitates fun, more important than fancy gear
  • Nature - doing what we are built for / designed for (the whole EvFt / paleo thing)
In effect it will be sprints / simple calisthenics (slow or statics) for metabolic conditioning / strength and then developing the skill of walking.....and it is a skill.

There will also be something on looking at what works, not what the successful do.  The successful can be such despite their training.

I am taking some ideas from lightweight backpacking too:

  • use of appropriate technology (e.g sprints)
  • efficiency - use what you need, multipurpose gear
  • challenges the mainstream
  • independence
  • fun - it is about enjoyment of the outdoors ultimately gear and fitnes only facilitate that
  • realistic - ignore the adverts!


All my interests are coming out in this stuff:   Body by Science, HIIT, MovNat, CrossFit endurance, posture.  I may not address diet - it is too challenging to the mainstream. .... we'll see


The hardest thing is condensing all these ideas into a useful article.

I am having to cut my reading back and go more in depth into things.  Blogs and twitter are great and immediate  but you rarely get any depth.  I am getting overwhelmed by the information.  It is time for some independent thought I think.

There will also be a  vibe here  simplifying and minimalism in general with respect to consumerism.  I like shiny new things as much as the next guy but gear is nowhere near as important as fitness for a good day out.  I've seen guys togged up in the latest kit struggling to get up a hill while others in older kit wander up with no trouble.  if you are not fit the gear doesn't matter much.  The magazines however rely on advertising income so they will not really tell you that too readily.  They sell us an image of what we need to own to be successful.

Comments

Dan said…
Counter balance complexity with simplicity high shares of low impact and low shares of high impact mother nature is of higher intelligence than any human mind have variability of both
Jake said…
You are right. Interval sprint training, HIT strength workouts and lots of hiking is the secret to success.

I believe that developing leg strength is very important to developing good balance. In my case, once I could leg press 400 lbs, my balance improved dramatically.
Chris said…
Dan - great comment. You have been reading DeVany!
Dan said…
Thanx Chris by the way I enjoy this site yes I have read DeVany also Taleb and others Stability in itself which is defined as fixed or one way is a set up for volatility whatever we may be trying to accomplish we would want to be well versed in all fields that's what makes us strong animals to adapt in any situation Thanx again Dan
Anonymous said…
I am in my 60th yr
I love your work on the site.
2009 I lightweighted across the Scottish Highlands and
2010 I did my version of the Cambrian Way.
I eat Paleo and offer my library of photos and any other support you may need on your project.
Fred isfa@live.com
Chris G said…
Diet will be the tricky one! I know a lot of walkers and outdoors people who are either veggie/vegetarians or who follow the high carb CW diets. I can just imagine the letters to TGO after an article on primal eating for hillwalking asking "where does the energy for an all day walk come from", "what about the carbon footprint/harm to animals" etc?

Then again why not challenge their way of thinking? One idea may be to do an article on a hillfit packed lunch or a typicals days meals/food intake for a day in the hills. You see this often enough from the high carb sports nutritionists or vegetarian writers, often with no footnotes of evidence to justify their claims. Obviously your call Chris.
Chris said…
Fred - thanks for your email. I'll get in touch.

Did you eat paleo on your crossing of SCotland?
Chris said…
Chris G

thanks for the comment. I'll think on the diet idea but hoepfully I'll have lots of columns to write so will get around to diet at some point. A hillfit lunch sounds like a great idea - hard boiled egg, sardines and celery for me......and maybe some dark chocolate!
Magazines rarely go into any depth. Some blogs offer information much better than I have ever read in any fitness mag. The health and fitness industry is a joke because it barely covers the basics. This is why majority of the U.S. (where I am from) is overweight. Its sad.
chris said…
Hey Chris long time listener, first time caller.
I live in Nor Cal and hike and backpack as often as I can.

Lunges are the best training for downhill muscles IMHO, yet most of the outdoor types I've talked to don't do them. I train with a pack heavier than what I'll be using plus a weighted vest.

In terms of food I take whey powder, 85% chocolate and several pre-boiled potatoes. I'm 40, low carb Paleo most of the time and I consistently out-march my younger, pasta fueled comrades. Anywho there's my unsolicited $.02. Cheers!
I'm an ultralight long-distance hiker. I spend a couple of weeks a year on the Appalachian Trail, and I have about 500 miles left to complete it (mid-VT to ME).

I do crossfit, and I found that having core strength and upper body strength was immensely helpful. I thought that leg strength, running and hiking mountains (I live on the Blue Ridge) was the best prep, but my last two hikes were so much more fun after developing more muscle!

I used to have a hard time with bouldering and rock hopping, and it was a ton of fun this time. I used to take a spill every trip (the footing on the AT all rocks and roots, FYI), and the last two...not one. I used to have problems with my shoulders and upper back after long days (even though my pack weighs 22lbs. at a maximum), and had none of that either.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...