Skip to main content

Review: The Gnoll Credo

I have been meaning to mention this book that I bought and read a couple of weeks ago.

The Gnoll Credo is a novella which is a thinly disguised polemic about the need for humans to recognise their true nature as hunters and what that means for how we should live and think, what our society should be like.

He builds the story around an anthropologist's encounters with a gnoll - a humanoid hyena - in a fantasy world of orcs and elves.  The gnoll explains and illustrates the Gnoll Credo...a set of 10 Commandments (12 actually) for carnivore hunters, explaining their society works and how their minds work.

“We are born and we die. No one cares, no one remembers, and it doesn’t matter. This is why we laugh.”
That is the basis of the Credo, an apparently nihilistic yet strangely life affirming set of assertions.  It made me think of the Fuck It philosophy (another book that I am enjoying just now).

The Gnoll is a hunter and that defines its life and outlook.  You get the impression that the author also thinks that this is the way that humans should be.  There are hints that  - as Erwan Le Corre says - we are zoo humans, too far removed from our nature, our reality.

It may not be the best piece of literature that you will ever read, but if you are interested in paleo diets or evolutionary fitness, it is worth your time and money.  Don't get me wrong, it is a well written book and the characters - particularly the Gnoll Gryka - are very well developed and there is some nice emotional insight into the main human character.  However, it is what the metaphor tells you about yourself that is challenging.

Paleo diets are one thing but we need to see them in a broader philosophical context.  We may be designed to eat a certain diet....but what does that mean for how we are designed to live and to relate to each other.  How can we be happy?  What does the paleo principle mean for us in terms of our relationships, our happiness, our spirituality?

The author is blogging in a rather more usual paleo blogger style at Gnolls.org where he is sharing some good science

You can read the first pages of the book here

Comments

Bill Strahan said…
A truly excellent book. I can't define exactly why it had the impact on me that it did.

As I reached the end of the book, I found myself savoring simple things more. I felt wonderfully, truly alive.

As a result, I bought a copy for one of my friends for his birthday. He's a paleo-crossfitter as well and he had a similar reaction to mine.

I continue to read J. Stanton's blog and enjoy it greatly. It's cool to see someone else noticed him as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...