Skip to main content

Dangers of Chiropractic?

This is disturbing.  I used to go to a chiropractor but I gave it up as woo.

Chiropractic manipulation of the spine may cause strokes and even death

A study by American neurosurgeons adds to evidence suggesting chiropractic can damage arteries supplying the brain


Comments

Kurt Gielen said…
A study by neurosurgeons? Not exactly the most neutral people to study chiropractors, are they?
Phil said…
You mean the people with the education about the exact topic doing the study? Should we have astrologists do the study instead?
Anonymous said…
This is exactly the kind of exclusive thinking that ruins careers and professions aimed at helping people. Moreover, not all chiropractors can be compared 1:1. The same can be said for DC's using research touting SMT as beneficial tend to parlay that result as 'chiropractic' (by association) is beneficial. Not so much - the devil is in the details.

So the long lever SMT by a DO is fine...but if a chiropractor does it - they stroke people out. There was over a decade of information collected and published led by Scott Haldeman. It would make sense for you and your readers to evaluate and consider the significance of their findings, in addition to those you have selectively posted.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2271092/
Jim said…
Compare this to studies showing the number of deaths caused by allopathic medicine and I think you'll learn what you should really be worried about.
Knorman said…
I wonder how many regular ol' doctors have done something that killed a patient?
Knorman said…
So then how many regular ol' doctors do stuff that kills people?

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...