Skip to main content

The Incidentally Gluten Free Cookbook

Just what we all need, another cookbook!  Everyone seems to be publishing books at the moment, particularly in the "Paleo" niche.  Most don't add much to the sum of human knowledge. I wanted to call your attention to this one though.

It comes from a couple of British writers - Melanie Dobromylskyj and Karla Rohde - two school-friends who have pulled together a superb compendium of gluten free recipes in The Incidentally Gluten Free Cookbook. 

This is a real paper book, not a cheap pdf (although cheap pdfs are not all bad) which through its 12 chapters presents a mouthwatering array of food that you can eat if you are avoiding gluten.

As an aside here I better mention that I am - as far as I can manage - gluten free.  A couple of years ago I was getting more and more IBS.  Stomach cramps, poor digestion and diarrhoea were regular companions which went when I cut out wheat.  No beer, bread or pasta.  No pastry..... thats it really.  As long as I avoid them I am fine.  I went to the doctor and they did a test for celiac disease - which my uncle has - and it came back negative.  However the doctor said that with IBS if you avoid something and it makes it better - i.e. wheat for me - then avoid it...so I do. 
Interestingly Bizarro et al in a fairly recent review - Cutting-edge issues in celiac disease and in gluten intolerance - showed that gluten sensitivity shares similar symptoms with celiac, and exists as a separate condition.
The book gives you 12 sections:
  1. Fish dishes
  2. Chicken
  3. Pork
  4. Lamb and Mutton
  5. Beef
  6. Vegetarian
  7. Soups and Sides
  8. Others (e.g. chutneys and spanish torillas)
  9. Puddings
  10. Cakes and biscuits - here is where they get into their stride!  You can tell that they like baking
  11. Christmas food and drink - fancy Vanilla Kipferl?!
  12. Useful Information

In the last chapter there is a nice explanation of Why Gluten is so Bad for So Many of Us written by Melanie's husband Peter.  (Peter has some degree of fame in the world of the internet through his blgo Hyperlipid and I had the pleasure of visiting him and Melanie a couple of years ago when they were living in Scotland.)  This section is really well drafted looking at some key problems that can be traced to gluten consumption for some people - for example leaky gut, autoimmune disease, a "stress" response in the gut.

There is all sorts of stuff in this book, with some excellent photos too!   If you want a taste of the sort of things in the book, check out the blog Critters and Cake where some of the recipes are shared.  Amid all the paleo orthorexia this is a nice old fashioned recipe book which makes you feel all warm and cozy, with memories of cake and biscuits on cold winters afternoons after school.

It is not a cheap book.  You can blame that on Lulu, but that being said it is really good quality - nicely printed on good quality paper and it looks good in my kitchen!
a scale, pepper, olive oil and rice wine vinegar....oh and a recipe book!


Anyway, to sum up it is a great book and is highly recommended by me!  Get your copy via Lulu through this link:   The Incidentally Gluten Free Cookbook



Comments

Justin Ross said…
So... if a book gets released as a PDF only, it deserves less respect than one that gets printed (unless it's your PDF, of course)?

Regardless of whether they're "cutting edge" or "reshaping paradigms of fitness" or whatever, most of the paleo/GF cookbooks I've seen lately (yes, even the PDF ones) have been helpful, intelligent, well-thought-out books that act as fairly valuable resources for people that don't want to google for half an hour trying to pick a recipe for their dinner.

Denigrating cookbooks for not being physical editions (when electronic is the direction books are going these days anyway) is, frankly, a last-generation attitude. We in the paleo/GF community get enough crap from other sources. We don't need it from within.
Chris said…
er....you are a bit over sensitive there I think? I am surprised by your comment and its tone. pdfs are cheaper to produce that is all I said.

I prefer paper books to pdf ones. They are much easier to read. I might be old fashioned, but so be it.
Chris G said…
Saucer of milk?
Wholesale Food said…
I am vegetarian and gluten free.It's easy to read..

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...