Skip to main content

A new review on creatine

Sticking to the subject of creatine....I spotted this new review, with the whole paper available.



Creatine is one of the most popular and widely researched natural supplements. The majority of studies have focused on the effects of creatine monohydrate on performance and health; however, many other forms of creatine exist and are commercially available in the sports nutrition/supplement market. Regardless of the form, supplementation with creatine has regularly shown to increase strength, fat free mass, and muscle morphology with concurrent heavy resistance training more than resistance training alone. Creatine may be of benefit in other modes of exercise such as high-intensity sprints or endurance training. However, it appears that the effects of creatine diminish as the length of time spent exercising increases. Even though not all individuals respond similarly to creatine supplementation, it is generally accepted that its supplementation increases creatine storage and promotes a faster regeneration of adenosine triphosphate between high intensity exercises. These improved outcomes will increase performance and promote greater training adaptations. More recent research suggests that creatine supplementation in amounts of 0.1 g/kg of body weight combined with resistance training improves training adaptations at a cellular and sub-cellular level. Finally, although presently ingesting creatine as an oral supplement is considered safe and ethical, the perception of safety cannot be guaranteed, especially when administered for long period of time to different populations (athletes, sedentary, patient, active, young or elderly).


All this has persuaded me to start experimenting with creatine again.  1 teaspoon / 5 g a day at the moment....

Comments

Unknown said…
I've been using the NOW brand from Amazon for several years, comes out to around $10 a pound, it lasts forever. Really the only reason I still take it is I never run out of the stuff.
Ondrej said…
Is there any difference between tablets and powder? I guess dosing with tablets is more accurate and comfortable.
Anonymous said…
I've been experimenting with it recently too. Trying it with sodium bicarbonate as mentioned over at SuppVersity. 1 tsp baking soda + 5g creatine washed down with some water.
Tom said…
Is 5g going to be enough? At 0.1g per kg of bodyweight that means you should be 50kg.

I ask because I'm around 70kg and have always used 5g when using creatine - perhaps I should be using slightly more?
Sol Orwell said…
Ondrej - no difference. Some people struggle with the powder, and take pills. Really though, it's tasteless, so you can easily combine it in any kind of shake you take (protein, etc).

Anonymous - be careful with the sodium bicarbonate. It can cause gastric distress. More here: http://www.reddit.com/r/AdvancedFitness/comments/rwhxe/supercharging_creatine_with_baking_soda_study/

Tom - 5g is more than enough. As the recommendation is 3-5g, you should be fine.
Bryce said…
Chris,

brand recommendations?

Thanks for the post.
Bryce
Ondrej said…
Interesting..I just considered creatine supplementation because of Eat Stop Eat, then 2 articles here and 25 percent discount at the supplier I trust...ordered 300 pills. (it's czech company so probably of no use for others)
Chris said…
Brands ?

No idea - I've just gone for the basic creatine monohydrate from MyProtein which is pretty cheap in bulk
Chris said…
Maybe one form to avoid? http://mobile.nutraingredients-usa.com/On-your-radar/Product-claims/Creatine-supplement-makers-at-loggerheads-over-new-study
Xander Rockmann said…
Chris, I've been a follower of your blog for sometime now and enjoy your efforts and appreciate your insights. Your decision to give creatine another whirl coupled with the amount of articles about the substance published recently on your site and through other channels has convinced me to give this supplement a chance. Granted, I am skeptical of the supplement industry as most products seem to show limited efficacy and the claims made sound similar to those of a snake oil salesman.
However, I am willing to follow your lead in this endeavor and experiment with creatine myself.
My questions for you are 1) are you supplementing with creatine? Creatine monohydrate? or a "micronized" form of either? 2) Are you doing a loading phase: 20 g/day for 5 days, 10 g/day for 10 days, or 3-5 g/day for ~ 1 month? 3) Are you going to cycle on and off (i.e. 2 months on, 2 weeks off)

Thanks.
Chris said…
Xander

Thanks

I am just using a basic Creatine Monohydrate as I say above with a link to the product. I'm not doing a loading protocol just a heaped teaspoon / 5g or so each day. I'll take a week or two off after a couple of months.
Ondrej said…
My creatine monohydrate just arrived. Starting today, 5g/day...review after 60 days when my tablets run out:-)

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...