Skip to main content

Does a massage make you feel wiped out?

I've had that experience - a hard massage leaving me feeling a bit wiped out: tired, groggy.  This is a fascinating post from  Paul explaining his theory that in many cases this is caused by a mild case of rhabdo.....


Poisoned by Massage

Rather than being “detoxifying,” as many believe, massage probably causes a modestly toxic situation in the body

Comments

Three Pipe Problem said…
In trigger point therapy they teach that the area surrounding the trigger point (little muscle knot typically located at the position of greatest biomechanical stress, such as halfway down a long muscle belly) metabolic wastes build up -- and can be released by massage. I have definitely had experience with myself and others where releasing several trigger points leads to nausea/vomiting. Since the area manipulated is so small, the "releasing trapped toxins" theory seems more believable to me than the rhabdo theory.
Robert McLeod said…
The 'toxins' thing is silly but the posted article is even more ridiculous. Whenever new collagen gets laid down in the myofascia, it's randomly orientated like all scar tissue. It's through the application of physical force that the collagen that's oriented the wrong way is sheared apart and broken. Then macrophages are called to the party to lay down more scar tissue, and the processes is repeated again and again until most of the collagen is oriented in the proper direction (i.e. remodaling connective tissue).


I don't see evidence that 'mild' rhabdo is signalled by myoglobin as opposed to the much more likely general pro-inflammatory cytokynes. Certainly no references are provided in the article.

The intelligent thing to do would be to take a gram of Vitamin C after an intense massage. That and use a PVC roller and lacrosse ball instead of paying a masseuse to do a bad job of myofascial release.
Anonymous said…
What Robert McLeod said, except for that last part. I don't think you should never go see a massage therapist. They're like a dentist. In between visits, you should do your own brushing and flossing with PVC and a lacrosse ball, but every once in a while, you need a checkup and a full clean.
js290 said…
http://doctorsaputo.com/a/massage-reduces-inflammation-after-exercise
Rod said…
http://saveyourself.ca/articles/research-crane.php

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...