Skip to main content

50 Workouts from Fred Fornicola and Matt Brzycki

A while ago now I interviewed Fed Fornicola.  Amid what often becomes impenetrably dense arguments in the HIT training field, Fred is a voice of simplicity and strength.  Things do not have to be as complex as we often make them as we geek out about training (e.g see this thread over on the Body By Science blog - even I join in!).  Fred keeps things simple - train hard, train safe, recover and go again.

Fred and his co-author the expert trainer Matt Brzycki have just published a new ebook - 

50 Workouts for Strength and Fitness: Safe, Efficient and Effective Training with Free Weights  (Also available from Amazon for kindle.)


The book doesn't go into the long descriptions of exercises that often fill up training books.  It assumes that you know the exercises or that you can find out how to do them (This is the age of google and YouTube!   There are some pretty decent sites ou there now that show how to perform most moves).  Rather this book offers information on training techniques and enough routines to keep you going for years, whether your goal is conditioning or muscle (it is all the same in the end).

Recommended if you are looking for some inspiration and new ideas.  Sometimes rather than working out your own routine it is nice to relax with something that has been planned out for you.  Pick some of the ideas in here and stick to them for a few weeks.

Here is what Fred says about the book:


The book covers a number of total-body and split-body workouts along with specialized routines and the ever challenging “3 by 3″ workouts of which we have quite a few.

The workouts in this book are designed to be done with free weights.  For these purposes, free weights include barbells, dumbbells and bodyweight.  Some of the workouts will specify a particular type of free weight.  However, because you might not have access to a specific type of free weight, most of the workouts will simply note the names of the exercises.  You can choose what to use based on availability, convenience, preference and safety.

Comments

slick12ick said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...