Skip to main content

Obsession

Marc has written a superb post here - Obsession: Why it is a dirty word.    He asks some important questions and points out some startling inconsistencies in the way in which the world views different activities.   Those of us who train and pay attention to our diet are seen as obsessed in a negative way, while those who drink too much or live life to watch tv are seen as normal and acceptable.


It might not be normal to lift heavy on a near daily basis and to try and control my weight using different dietary interventions but I find it empowering to have the ability to change my body composition and I love lifting.
If I was to be a "normal" and not know how to get leaner, or not have a hobby to obsesses over and get better at I think I would be a much less fulfilled human being.  I don't see how working a 9 to 5 job, eating 3 square meals and watching TV as my hobby would be a better alternative.
Sure people might question what you do and ask why you do it.  To those who genuinely want to know try your best to humour them you might be pleasantly surprised and maybe even make a new friend or gym buddy

Comments

Unknown said…
I fall into the obsessive category, I always ask people "what do you do in the 16-17 hours a day that you aren't sleeping?"

I don't see the problem with devoting a small part of that time to something I enjoy and find personally rewarding.
Bryce said…
I'm not sure if it's quite the same in the UK or Europe, but here in the US, it is perfectly acceptable to spend tremendous, time, physical/mental effort, and money to make your property, lawn, etc look immaculate. Perfectly manicured grass, elegantly landscaped flower beds, mulch, etc. This is all accepted, and even expected!

Spend 1/4 of the time or money on your health and fitness, and you are a puritannical fitness lunatic extinguishing joy in any room you enter.

Perhaps people can see the immediate personal benefit to themselves when you work hard to have a nice property - your neighbors' home values go up as the neighborhood looks nicer. Of course, keeping yourself healthy is no less beneficial to your neighbors, as society will probably never have to bear your obscene medical costs. But most people can't appreciate big picture benefits like that.
Chris said…
hi Bryce

Yes it is the same here too.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...