Skip to main content

What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains

I've read Nicholas Carr's book The Shallows.  It is superb and a little frightening in its implications.

Comments

August said…
I would finish reading the article. I hate facebook and don't even have a twitter account. I do know I am different- this is seems to be why Google Reader is going away. There aren't enough people like me, who like a good rambling essay rather than the 140 character barrage.
FeelGoodEating said…
If you look at the video and than honestly asses your own behaviour, i think you will find that the "disease" is only grtting worse for most of us.

Eventhough not on facebook, between email texts and skype my phone has slowly but surely taken me hostage.

I feel that im much more distracted than i used to be...
Distracted might be the wrong word though.

Im afraid to read the book... :-)

Marc
Patrick said…
As always: „Dosis sola venenum facit“ ("The dose makes the poison") -Paracelsus 1493-1541
Greg Swann said…
Cute video, it's a symptom of the syndrome it decries, but how could it be otherwise? Conservatives -- lovers of the past -- always use the latest technology to denounce technology.

Here's the truth: The internet is bringing the Greek Agora to the smallest and least of us. There are a billion new geniuses blossoming in the southern hemisphere. On-line education is putting smelly Professor Elbowpads into a job he can handle, pulling off lattés making change. And our children are growing up immersed in this thing...

Learn to love the future. It's coming either way.
Dr. Snyder said…
I think that comment is a bit harsh, though I agree there has been far more good than bad as a result of the dawning age of the internet...especially in medicine where the rapid speed of sharing new research around the globe is speeding us toward new cures.

I think there is deep truth in the losses of depth-analysis that our brains did prior to the bite-size information chunks than many people get online. The key is to remember that the internet is just a tool and can be used for depth-knowledge or bite-size knowledge. It's up to us to create good streams of data and good summaries of data for both types of needs.
Greg Swann said…
The hardware and software necessary to produce the book, the video and the attendant PR campaign are more than enough to refute the thesis. The life of the mind has never been deeper, nor its champions more diverse, better dispersed or more numerous. The whole world will change massively in the next twenty years, all driven by the internet and the children who grow up in it. This is a wonder to be admired and celebrated.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...