Skip to main content

"Cardio" - burn more fat by doing your weights first

Comment - there are few trainers that would now encourage you to do "long boring cardio" to burn fat. High intensity intervals are more effective. However, if you are to do some long duration aerobics, you can increase the fat you burn by doing some resistance exercise first.....



Effects of Resistance Exercise on Lipolysis during Subsequent Submaximal Exercise.

BASIC SCIENCES
Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 39(2):308-315, February 2007.
GOTO, KAZUSHIGE 1; ISHII, NAOKATA 1; SUGIHARA, SHUHEI 2; YOSHIOKA, TOSHITSUGU 2; TAKAMATSU, KAORU 2

Abstract:
Purpose: This study examined effects of prior resistance exercise on fat metabolism during subsequent submaximal exercise with different recovery periods between exercise bouts.

Methods: Ten male subjects performed three types of exercise regimens: 1) submaximal endurance exercise only (E), 2) submaximal endurance exercise with prior resistance exercise and 20 min of rest (RE20), and 3) submaximal endurance exercise with prior resistance exercise and 120 min of rest (RE120). Resistance exercise consisted of six exercises, each with three to four sets at 10-repetition maximum. Subjects performed cycle ergometer exercise at 50% of the maximal oxygen uptake for 60 min.

Results: Prior resistance exercise caused increases in blood lactate, plasma norepinephrine, serum growth hormone (GH), insulin, and glycerol concentrations (P < 0.01). Before the submaximal exercise, serum free fatty acid (FFA) concentration was higher in the RE120 than in the RE20 and E trials (P < 0.01), although concentrations of plasma norepinephrine, serum GH, insulin, and glycerol were higher in the RE20 than in the RE120 and E trials (P < 0.05). Concentrations of FFA and glycerol during the 60-min submaximal exercise were higher in the RE120 and RE20 trials than in the E trial (P < 0.05). No significant difference was observed in the acetoacetate and 3-hydroxybutyrate responses. In the RE20 trial, fat oxidation throughout the 60-min submaximal exercise (mean value) was greater than in the E trial (P < 0.05), but no significant difference was found between the RE120 and E trials.

Conclusion: Fat availability during the submaximal exercise was enhanced by prior resistance exercise. However, augmentation of fat oxidation was observed only in the trial with shorter rest between resistance exercise and submaximal exercise bouts (RE20 trial).

(C)2007The American College of Sports Medicine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...