Skip to main content

Can exercise prevent bowel cancer and polyps?

Can it?


I don't know, but this study indicates that there may be a mechanism that would at least help in that direction.

Effect of a 12-month exercise intervention on the apoptotic regulating proteins bax and bcl-2 in colon crypts: a randomized controlled trial.


BACKGROUND: Cellular proliferation and apoptosis (cell death) are highly regulated in the colon as insufficient apoptosis may lead to polyps and cancer. Physical activity decreases risk of colon cancer in observational studies, but the biological basis is not well defined. The objective of this study is to examine the effects of a 12-month aerobic exercise program on expression of proteins that promote (Bax) or inhibit (Bcl-2) apoptosis in colon crypts.

METHODS: Two hundred two sedentary participants, 40 to 75 years, were randomly assigned to moderate-to-vigorous intensity exercise for 60 min per day, 6 days per week for 12 months, or usual lifestyle. Colon crypt samples were obtained at baseline and 12 months. Bcl-2 and Bax expression was measured by immunohistochemistry.

RESULTS: Bax density at the bottom of crypts increased in male exercisers versus controls (+0.87 versus -0.18; P = 0.05), whereas the ratio of Bcl-2 to Bax at the bottom and middle of crypts decreased as aerobic fitness (VO(2)max) increased (P trend = 0.02 and 0.05, respectively). In female exercisers, Bax density in the middle of crypts decreased (-0.36 versus +0.69; P = 0.03) and Bcl-2 to Bax ratio at the top of crypts increased versus controls (+0.46 versus -0.85; P = 0.03). Bax density in the middle of crypts also decreased as minutes per week of exercise increased (P trend = 0.03).

CONCLUSIONS: A 12-month exercise intervention resulted in greater expression of proteins that promote apoptosis at the bottom of colon crypts in men and decreased expression of proteins that promote apoptosis at the middle and top of colon crypts in women. The difference in effect by gender and location of observed changes warrants further study. (Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2007;16(9):1767-74).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...