Skip to main content

Water: 8 glasses a day is a myth


Everywhere you look, people are carrying plastic bottles of water....you see it at work, on the bus, in the theatre, in church(why?!)....it is as if we are living in a chronically dehydrated society in which people are dying of thirst....

What is going on? Partly I believe that it is a fashion thing. There is a tipping point process going on in which eventually it is the standard thing to be drinking lots of water. The science as far as I can see is fairly clear: the 8 glasses a day mantra lacks scientific proof and is basically an urban myth.

What is the harm of drinking lots of water?

"The fact is that, potentially, there is harm even in water," explains Valtin. Even modest increases in fluid intake can result in "water intoxication" if one's kidneys are unable to excrete enough water (urine). Such instances are not unheard of, and they have led to mental confusion and even death in athletes, in teenagers after ingesting the recreational drug Ecstasy, and in ordinary patients.

And he lists other disadvantages of a high water intake: (a) possible exposure to pollutants, especially if sustained over many years; (b) frequent urination, which can be both inconvenient and embarrassing; (c) expense, for those who satisfy the 8 x 8 requirements with bottled water; and (d) feelings of guilt for not achieving 8 x 8.

The full article is available here.

What got me thinking about this just now is a series that was posted recently in a blog I read regularly: The Science of Sport

They had an awesome series on fluid intake during exercise. The post here is a fascinating read, looking at how the accepted wisdom with respect to fluid intake has changed over the years.

Had you been around to run in the 1908 Olympic Games in Rome, you would be reading this with a sense of bewilderment at how things have changed. Today, runners are told to drink, drink, drink. Drink to replace ALL weight loss. Don’t get dehydrated, and so on. But your recollection of running in the early 1900’s would have been that you should NOT drink during exercise! Remarkably, 100 years ago, runners were being told by “experts” (that is, commentators on the sport and fellow runners) that drinking would be detrimental!
What changed things? The writers of this blog suggest that the problem really came about when sports drinks companies began sponsoring scientific research into sports drinks:

.......much of the research on the topic was funded by Gatorade, a company that produces sports drinks. The conflict of interests this created is staggering – an entire Institute, called the Gatorade Sports Science Institute, was created. A website, with a section dedicated to educating the public on fluid replacement needs, is sponsored by the company aiming to meet those needs. And perhaps not surprisingly, all the research of this time pointed in one direction – you need to drink, drink and drink. And when the marketing arm of the company used this information, they encouraged you to drink Gatorade!

This of course is not just a theoretical problem:
The problem, as we shall see in post 3 of this series, is that the excessive intake of fluid can cause the plasma be diluted to such an extent that a condition known as hyponatremia develops. And people die as a result of hyponatremia.
These studies continue today with things like the Lucozade Sport Science and Nutrition Centre. You just wonder how independent this science is. I am also reminded of the discussion recently about sports shoes. Marketing tells us one thing - you need these highly engineered shoes. Science says something different - such big shoes with all this cushioning etc. cause injuries rather than prevent them!

Fashion and Marketing...a powerful and potentially dangerous combination.

Art DeVany had a couple of excellent posts on this a couple of years ago:

Water Bottles, Sports Drinks, and Ancient Tastes

Follow up to Water Bottles

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can't speak for everyone else, but having a Nalgene glued to my hand was NOT a fashion statement (even though I carried it to work and to church.)

I used to NEED that water...and then I went paleo. I was shocked to see that two of the three bottles I carried to work sat full at the end of the day after a few days of paleo eating. I now believe that epidemic dehydration is a direct result of the carb and grain freebasing practiced by the unwashed masses.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...