Skip to main content

Burning fat after exercise.....


Here is a study which supports the idea of "afterburn" or turbulence created by training. When you train, even the muscles that you are not working burn more calories after exercise. The harder you train, the greater that effect

Oxygen Consumption in Nonexercising Muscle after Exercise.
Integrated Arts and Science, Okinawa National College of Technology, Okinawa, Japan.

Little is known about the effect of exercise intensity on post-exercise oxygen consumption in non-exercising muscle. This study examined the effect of exercise intensity on muscle oxygen consumption (V.O (2mus)) in non-exercising forearm flexor muscles (nonexV.O (2mus)) after cycling exercise. Eight healthy male subjects performed 20 min of cycling exercise at 30 %, 50 %, and 70 % of maximal oxygen consumption (%V.O (2max)) on separate days. The nonexV.O (2mus) values at rest, at the end of exercise, and during recovery after exercise were measured by near-infrared spectroscopy. V.O (2mus) was determined using the rate of decrease in oxygenated hemoglobin during arterial occlusion. The nonexV.O (2mus) at the end of exercise significantly increased by 1.3 +/- 0.1, 2.0 +/- 0.3, and 2.2 +/- 0.3-fold over resting values at 30 %, 50 %, and 70 % V.O (2max), respectively. NonexV.O (2mus) returned to the resting value after 3 - 5 min of recovery and then showed no significant change for 120 min after exercise at all exercise intensities. NonexV.O (2mus) at the end of exercise at 70 % V.O (2max) was significantly higher than that after exercise at 30 % V.O (2max). These results show that 20 min of cycling exercise induced an increase in nonexV.O (2mus) and that higher intensity exercise produces a larger increase in nonexV.O (2mus) after exercise.

Alwyn Cosgrove explains the theory behind all this here.


The key with anaerobic training is what is known as EPOC. Anaerobic exercise burns a ton of calories while you are performing it. However, the metabolism remains elevated following this type exercise.

This was, at one time, referred to as the oxygen debt, but is now referred to as the excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC).

The recovery of the metabolic rate back to pre-exercise levels can require several minutes for light exercise (aerobic training), several hours for very heavy exercise (anaerobic cardio training), and up to 12 to 24 hours or even longer for prolonged, exhaustive exercise (interval training or circuit weight training).

The EPOC can add up to substantial energy expenditure when totaled over the entire period of recovery. If the oxygen consumption following exercise remains elevated by an average of only 50 ml/min or 0.05 liter/min, this will amount to approximately 0.25 kcal/min or 15 kcal/hr.

If the metabolism remains elevated for five hours, this would amount to an additional expenditure of 75 kcal that would not normally be included in the calculated total energy expenditure for that particular activity.

This major source of energy expenditure, which occurs during recovery, but is directly the result of the exercise bout, is frequently ignored in most calculations of the energy cost of various activities.

Comments

Chris said…
Alwyn Cosgrove has just pointed towards this same research:

http://alwyncosgrove.blogspot.com/2007/11/more-afterburn-research.html

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...