Skip to main content

Exercise promotes wound healing

Here is another potential reason to exercise. While we have previously seen that excess exercise can cause problems this study is interesting in that it says that moderate exercise actually promotes healing to skin wounds (in mice at least):

This improved healing response in the old mice may be the result of an exercise-induced anti-inflammatory response in the wound.

EXERCISE ACCELERATES CUTANEOUS WOUND HEALING AND DECREASES WOUND INFLAMMATION IN AGED MICE.

This study purpose was to determine the effect of exercise on wound healing and inflammation in young (three months) and old (18 months) female Balb/cByJ mice. Mice were assigned to either exercise (EX) or sedentary control (CON) groups. EX mice were run on a motorized treadmill at a moderate intensity for 30 min per day for eight days. All mice were given four full thickness dermal wounds and the rate of wound closure was assessed daily for 10 days. Four months later, the aged mice were re-randomized to treatment, wounded again in different locations, and wounds were harvested at 1, 3, or 5 days post-wounding. Wound tissue was analyzed for interleukin-1 beta (IL-1beta), interleukin-6 (IL-6), keratinocyte chemoattractant (KC), monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (MCP-1), and tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha) protein. Myeloperoxidase (MPO) activity and F4/80 mRNA were assessed as an indirect measure of neutrophil and macrophage content, respectively. There was a trend (p = 0.10) for exercise to reduce wound size in young mice, and exercise significantly (p < 0.05) decreased wound size in old mice. TNF-alpha, KC, and MCP-1 were significantly (p < 0.05) lower in wounds from EX old mice when compared to CON. No group differences were found for wound IL-1beta or IL-6, MPO activity, or F4/80 mRNA. Our data suggest that exercise accelerates the wound healing process in old mice. This improved healing response in the old mice may be the result of an exercise-induced anti-inflammatory response in the wound. Key words: exercise, wound healing, aging, inflammation, cytokines.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...