Skip to main content

Intermittent Fasting and lung volume.....

Well, I have never heard of the Saudi Medical Journal, but those of you with an interest in intermittent fasting might find this new article interesting. Every year during Ramadan, Muslims practice a form of IF, not eating during daylight. This study looked at how this practice affected lung volumes and capacity in healthy people.

Evaluation of the effect of islamic fasting on lung volumes and capacities in the healthy persons

Objectives: To evaluate the changes in pulmonary volumes during and after Islamic fasting.

Methods: It is a cohort study conducted on 117 healthy subjects selected on a random basis from employees, professors and students of Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran, between December 1999 and January 2000. All of them underwent spirometry 10 days prior to Ramadan, 2 times during Ramadan, and one time 10 days post-Ramadan. In first visit, in addition to spirometry they underwent medical examination to make sure they are healthy. All of their spirometries and background information were collected. Repeated measurements analysis of varience method was used to compare the measurements.

Results: Approximately 69% of subjects were male and the mean age was 23.9 years. Mean fasting time was 27.8 days. The mean difference in forced expiratory volume in 1 second (FEV1%) was significant between the 4 visits (p=0.01). The mean FEV1% increased both during fasting and after Ramadan (p=0.017). The mean vital capacity and peak expiratory flow rate values increased during Ramadan significantly (p=0.043, p<0.001). p="0.02)," p="0.004)" p="0.047)" style="font-weight: bold;">Conclusions: As a whole, fasting increases lung volumes and might improve pulmonary function. This finding seems to be relevant to the changes in weight during Ramadan.

What does this mean?

I am not sure! Pubmed lists other studies that show that there is no change in lung function as a result of IF, so maybe the jury is still out. If you are interested in this way of eating however you might want to see if you perceive that it benefits your "wind".

Find out more about IF

I've posted a bit about IF before on this blog. Click here to see all IF posts. Alternatively check out these books:


Eat Stop Eat - an ebook which looks at lots of the science behind this way of eating and explains it in an easy to understand way.




Fast 5 (free introductory book)

Comments

Mark Reifkind said…
interesting idea. I've been doing warrior for three years and love it.can't imagine walking around digesting all day anymore.feel much better in many ways with IF approach.great blog man.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...