Skip to main content

Exercise, eat less and extend your life?

While referring to rats, this is still an interesting study regarding the potential benefits of calorie restriction - of which Intermittent Fasting (IF) is a form - and exercise. Basically there is a problem that as we get older we tend to lose muscle. This study suggests that you can avoid that problem (and its consequences) through lifelong, voluntary exercise combined with mild (8%) caloric restriction.

Anyway, the relevance here is that IF has been shown to have similar results to caloric restriction (CR) which itself has been demonstrated to increase lab rat lifespans more than 20%. I often post IF studies here and am also a fan of resistance exercise. Brad Pillon's Eat Stop Eat, that I've pointed to before, also proposes IF coupled with resistance training.

Lifelong exercise and mild (8%) caloric restriction attenuate age-induced alterations in plantaris muscle morphology, oxidative stress and IGF-1 in the Fischer-344 rat

Abstract


Muscle atrophy is a highly prevalent condition among older adults, and results from reduced muscle mass and fiber cross-sectional area. Resistive exercise training and moderate (30–40%) caloric restriction may reduce the rate of sarcopenia in animal models. We tested the hypothesis that lifelong, voluntary exercise combined with mild (8%) caloric restriction would attenuate the reduction of muscle fiber cross-sectional area in the rat plantaris. Fischer-344 rats were divided into: young adults (6 mo) fed ad libitum (YAL); 24 mo old fed ad libitum (OAL); 24 mo old on 8% caloric restriction (OCR); lifelong wheel running with 8% CR (OExCR). Plantaris fiber cross-sectional area was significantly lower in OAL than YAL (−27%), but protected in OCR and OExCR, while mass/body mass ratio was preserved in OExCR only. Furthermore, 8% CR and lifelong wheel running attenuated the age-induced increases in extramyocyte space and connective tissue. Citrate synthase activity decreased with age, but was not significantly protected in OCR and OExCR. Total hydroperoxides were higher in OAL than YAL, but were not elevated in OExCR, with out a change in MnSOD. IGF-1 levels were lower in OAL (−57%) than YAL, but partially protected in the OExCR group (+51%).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...