Skip to main content

Fat Burning exercise....

Interesting study here, trying to identify an optimal exercise intensity for fat oxidation.

They seem to say that continuous exercise training at this specific intensity can lead to greater improvements in fat oxidation and insulin sensitivity than an interval training program that burns the same calories. It is hard to tell much from the abstract - e.g. about what this intensity is or what the interval protocol used was. The results look funny too - no change in body fat %.....

I wonder how this would line up with the ideas in the Stubborn Fat Loss book that I mentioned earlier

Does anyone out there have access to the full study?

UPDATE - Lyle McDonald - author of the Stubborn Fat Loss solution that I reviewed the other day - has commented on this study on his blog in a challenging series he is doing on intervals vs steady state cardio.



Endurance training and obesity: effect on substrate metabolism and insulin sensitivity.


PURPOSE:: Obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus are disease states associated with hallmark features such as insulin resistance and an impaired ability to oxidize lipids. It has recently been reported that an optimal exercise intensity for fat oxidation (FATmax) exists; we hypothesize that continuous exercise training at this specific intensity can lead to greater improvements in fat oxidation and insulin sensitivity than a eucaloric interval training program.

METHODS:: In a counterbalanced, crossover design, eight sedentary, obese, but otherwise healthy male participants performed two 4-wk blocks of endurance training, either at a predetermined intensity eliciting maximal fat oxidation (TPCON) or at 5-min intervals of +/- 20% FATmax (TPINT). During the week preceding the exercise training and 48 h after the final exercise bout, an OGTT, V O2max test, steady-state exercise, and measurements of body composition were undertaken. Diet was controlled the day before all trials (50% carbohydrate, 35% fat, and 15% protein; ~2900 kcal.d). Variables were compared using two-way repeated-measures analyses of variance.

RESULTS

It was shown that fat oxidation rates were increased by 44% after TPCON (0.24 +/- 0.01 vs 0.35 +/- 0.03 g.min, P <>

CONCLUSIONS:: A continuous exercise training protocol that can elicit high rates of fat oxidation increases the contribution of fat to substrate oxidation during exercise and can significantly increase insulin sensitivity compared with a eucaloric interval protocol.

Comments

Bob said…
I can email it to you if your email address is available somewhere.
Chris said…
That would be great Bob - thanks very much.

chris AT conditioningresearch.com should work.

thanks again

Chris
Unknown said…
FYI, from

http://www.medicdirectsport.com/exercisetheory/default.asp?step=4&pid=52:

"We found that Fatmax was located at 64±4%VO2max, corresponding to 74±3%HRmax. In addition to Fatmax, a Fatmax-zone was also determined ..."

This is the study Prof. Gleeson appears to be talking about there:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11782653

Don't see any mention of intervals at all -- looks like the study was solely concerned with "optimal" steady-state intensity.
randyfeingersh said…
Here's the full paper:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/570774_1

Its a multi part, so be sure to read all of it.

This result has been demonstrated before in both human and animal studies.

Regards
Randy

Regards
Randy
randyfeingersh said…
Here's the full paper:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/570774_1

Its a multi part, so be sure to read all of it.

This result has been demonstrated before in both human and animal studies.

Regards
Randy

Regards
Randy
Chris said…
Tim, Randy

thanks for the comments.

Chris
Anonymous said…
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/blog/2008/04/04/research-review-endurance-training-and-obesity-effect-on-substrate-metabolism-and-insulin-sensitivity/

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...