Skip to main content

Four simple ways to lose fat (....oh and don't drink with your meals)

Stephan has posted a great little article on his blog, all about Body Composition. It is a post that is straightforward but would be powerful if people only grasped the basics of what he is talking about.

Because losing fat or gaining fat is ultimately about your hormones - like Mike says here it is an hormonal event - Stephan's protocols all involve steps to restore insulin sensitivity. "This will not only improve body composition, it will normalize your metabolism on a fundamental level, reducing the risk of all the common chronic diseases."

You should read all of the article, but the things he recommends are:

  • Carbohydrate restriction; (see my posts)
  • Exercise (especially intervals);
  • Intermittent Fasting; (IF) and
  • Losing the soda. (basically dumping sugar)
All proposals with which readers of this blog will be familiar.

On the topic of restoring insulin sensitivity, I thought this study was interesting, in that it would seem to argue against drinking alcohol with your meals.



Background: In the fed state, the glucose disposal action of insulin can be attributed in approximately equal part to the direct action of insulin and to a hepatic insulin sensitizing substance (HISS) that acts selectively on skeletal muscle. HISS action is absent in the 24-hour fasted state. The objective of this study was to determine whether alcohol administered with a meal affected meal-induced insulin sensitization (MIS). Methods: Rats were fasted for 24 hours and anesthetized, and insulin sensitivity was evaluated using the rapid insulin sensitivity test (RIST). A liquid mixed meal was injected into the stomach along with diluted alcohol equivalent to 1, 0.25, and 0.125 mL/kg of ethanol. After 90 minutes, a second RIST was carried out, atropine administered, and a third RIST done. A control fed group received no ethanol and a RIST was determined at 90 minutes; then 1 mL/kg ethanol or water was administered and the RIST was tested 1 hour later. Results: Ethanol co-administered with a meal produced a dose-dependent suppression of MIS. MIS was blocked back to fasting levels by atropine. MIS developed to a maximal level by 90 minutes and was maintained for at least 1 hour more. Ethanol (1 mL/kg) administered after MIS was fully developed resulted in complete suppression of insulin sensitivity back to a fasting level. Conclusions: MIS can be demonstrated in response to gastric administration of a liquid mixed meal in anesthetized rats. Alcohol produces a dose-related suppression of MIS and can completely reverse MIS once it has been developed. The concentrations of alcohol reached were well within levels attained by social drinkers. MIS was confirmed to act through HISS action, and neither MIS nor alcohol affected the HISS-independent component of insulin action.

Comments

Peter said…
Hmmm, atropine blocks MIS... This suggests it is mediated through the vagus nerve. It's remarkable how much of diabetes appears to be under neurological control...

Peter
Stephan Guyenet said…
That is interesting. Peter, lifespan also seems to be at least partly under neurological control.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...