Skip to main content

Ibuprofen - the latest 'roid for the aged?


This is a weird story that popped up yesterday. Basically, a study has found that

..over-the-counter painkillers may promote muscle growth in older patients during weight training...
In 24 patients with a mean age of 64, recommended daily doses of ibuprofen and acetaminophen were associated with gains of about 50% in muscle volume and strength compared with placebo after 12 weeks of resistance training, Chad Carroll, Ph.D., of Ball State University in Muncie, Ind., and colleagues reported at the Experimental Biology meeting here.

"These results suggest that chronic consumption of ibuprofen or acetaminophen during resistance training induces intramuscular changes that enhance the metabolic response to resistance exercise," said Todd Trappe, Ph.D., also of Ball State.


I really don't know what to make of this one!

Have a look at the full story: OTC Painkillers Also Help Grandpa Get Buff (!)

It is also reported by Eureka here.

Maybe these guys need some?


Talking of older people weight-training, there was a story in the NY Times yesterday about bodybuilders in their 60's and 70's: 60-Plus, Ripped, and Natural Competitors


Comments

Dave Clary said…
This is really interesting--especially since I currently have a prescription that calls for taking 2400mg a day of ibuprofen. I'm a little short of the mean age in the study (I'm 56)but it sure would be nice to get some muscle gain out of it along with the pain relief!
Chris said…
Hi Dave.

I'm 40 so again a little younger than these guys.

Getting older is an interesting thing - stretching and joint mobilistation work is getting more important and the rule of "Do no harm" is also getting more real!

Chris
Dave Clary said…
Chris,

My wife will be 63 in May and she does multiple sets of pull ups, dips, and push ups as well as lead spinning classes (I really need to get some video of it). But she considers the most important thing she does the 45 minutes of stretching she performs six days a week. That's about 40 minutes a day more than I do, and that's something I really need to change!

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...