Skip to main content

Scientific Study of the "paleolithic" diet

Here is another study of the impact of a Paleolithic diet. The abstract is linked to below, but I also managed to get the whole paper this time. So click on the tables to see the results

Effects of a short-term intervention with a paleolithic diet in healthy volunteers



Looking at the results in the full study, there are some interesting bits.

In terms of macro nutrient ratios the diet went from 13.5% / 54.3% / 29.6% protein / carbs / fat to 23.9% / 40% / 35.8% (% of calories). Total energy intake went down from 2478 to 1584.

I suppose if you wanted to link the changes in blood lipids etc to the diet you'd have to make is iso-calorific. Otherwise all we can say is that taking in fewer calories has an effect.....


Interesting anyway and worth reading. UPDATE Br Briffa comments on this here. And of course the establishment do not like it!

Comments

Stephan Guyenet said…
That study is really frustrating.

I really wish they had designed it to be able to dissociate calories and food choice. Why are paleolithic diet studies often so bad? Maybe the funding situation is dire. They pretty much summed it up with "further studies, including control group, are needed".
Anonymous said…
A 30% dropout rate for a study that only lasts 3 weeks seems to say that they were starving, the food was terrible, or both. Odd that they didn't measure body fat since that's what we care about, not total weight or BMI.
. said…
Wondering...what were they eating to miss calcium yet exceed (a good thing) potassium and increase their fiber intake?
viagra online said…
I think that this is so cool, I want to read more about it, thanks for sharing it is s o cool!

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...