Skip to main content

....and More Low Carb Research

Amby Burfoot's blog at Runners' World often picks up some interesting research. Like this:

Low Carb, High Protein Diets Get High Marks, Especially In One Unique Child Study
A review of low carb, relatively high protein diets received high marks in a nutrition journal article. The article says that the low carb diets have generally produced more weight loss than higher carb diets, primarily because the protein seems to increase satiety (appetite satisfaction). A more startling weight-loss study among obese elementary school children showed that their total cholesterol and triglycerides dropped significantly when they were put on a low-carb but otherwise-all-you-can-eat diet.




She is actually pointing to these two studies:

The role of protein in weight management.

Several studies have shown that high protein meals and foods are more satiating than high carbohydrate or high fat meals when assessed by subjective ratings of satiety. Few of these studies were able to control for potentially confounding variables. Test meals differ widely in physical and sensory properties so it cannot be concluded that it is protein conferring these effects. When sensory properties are controlled up to 10-30% more calories are eaten at a subsequent meal with a high carbohydrate liquid meal than a high protein liquid meal with no difference in protein sources or BMI status. Weight loss studies examining the metabolic effects of isocaloric high protein energy restricted diets with high carbohydrate structured diets have not shown differences in kilojoule intake and weight loss despite expected satiety differences. Such studies do not allow the effects of increased satiety attributable to protein to be expressed as the dietary protocols have required all foods to be consumed. However, several longer term studies have noted improvements in body composition on a higher protein pattern despite similar weight loss. An interaction between protein intake and exercise on improved lean mass retention has also been observed. Studies comparing ad libitun high protein diets to high carbohydrate diets have usually shown greater weight loss on the high protein pattern and that enhanced satiety was the most important factor in the weight loss.


and


Unlimited energy, restricted carbohydrate diet improves lipid parameters in obese children.

BACKGROUND: Childhood obesity is a leading health concern. We have previously demonstrated the effectiveness of a restricted-carbohydrate, unlimited energy diet for weight reduction in elementary school-aged children. To our knowledge, there are no studies that have looked at the effect of this diet on lipid profiles in elementary school-aged children. Therefore, the objective of this pilot study was to examine the effect of a restricted-carbohydrate, unlimited protein, unlimited energy diet on lipid profiles in obese children 6 to 12 years of age. METHODS: Overweight children (body mass index >97%) referred to our obesity clinic were treated with a restricted-carbohydrate (<30 grams daily), unlimited protein, and unlimited energy diet. Weight, height, body mass index, and fasting lipid profiles were obtained at baseline and at 10 weeks on each patient. RESULTS: Twenty-seven patients were enrolled in our study, with a total of 18 patients returning for our 10 week follow-up (67%). The study group included 10 males and 8 females, with an age range of 6 to 12 years. Both total serum cholesterol and triglyceride levels showed a significant reduction; 24.2 (P = 0.018) and 56.9 (P = 0.015) mg/dL, respectively. CONCLUSIONS: We have demonstrated a significant decrease in total cholesterol and triglycerides in elementary school-aged children after 10 weeks of a restricted-carbohydrate, unlimited protein, and unlimited energy diet. We suggest that this diet may decrease cardiovascular risk factors in obese children. Long-term studies will be needed to substantiate these data.


Comments

Stephan Guyenet said…
I like how they methodically avoid mentioning the kids are also eating more fat.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...