Skip to main content

Are low carb diets inflammatory?

Inflammatory Response to a High-fat, Low-carbohydrate Weight Loss Diet: Effect of Antioxidants

I know that there are people out there reading this blog that are a lot more intelligent than me and also more familiar with science. However, here is how I read this research:


  • In a previous experiment these researchers found that a high fat low-carb diet was inflammatory;
  • They came up with the hypothesis that this inflammation was due to oxidative stress;
  • They decided to test this idea by putting some overweight people on a high fat / low carb and seeing what happened when some of them were given antioxidant supplements;
  • The diet worked in that the overweight people lost weight;
  • The antioxidant supplements did not make the diet more effective in terms of weight loss;
  • The diet caused a reduction of some but not all markers of inflammation;
  • A role for oxidative stress in causing inflammation was not confirmed.

So, a high fat diet can make you lose weight and reduces some markers of inflammation?

Of course the abstract alone only prompts more questions - it is not clear what the diet consisted of in terms of macro ratios or types of fat for example. Plus to lose weight you need to reduce calories of course.

I am also reminded of previous posts that questioned the value of antioxidant supplements, e.g.,

Antioxidants do more harm than good

A ketogenic diet can in itself be an antioxidant

Comments

donny said…
Naked mole rats have higher levels of oxidative stress than other rodents their size, but live much longer, as much as ten times longer. And there was that study in worms where blocking sugar metabolism increased their lifespans, but with lots of oxidative stress. They tried adding some kind of antioxidant, and it worked--but the extension in lifespan went away too.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...