Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Full Contact Twist

In the last post on EvFit there was a picture of Keith doing a "Full contact twist". This is a move popularised by Pavel and described here

It is a good move that involves a twist one of the key patterns for functional movement, but one that is rarely trained in most exercise.

Paul Chek's article here - I am sure I've pointed to this before - is a very informative piece on movement and what he calls the Primal Patterns:

I’ve proposed that any primal man or woman who could not perform any of the primal patterns (squat, lunge, bend, push, pull, twist and gait) from a standing position, would have perished. Based on countless clinical examples of people that were not successful with the traditional approach to conditioning or rehabilitation, I have found that their ability to perform one or more of these Primal Patterns? was notably deficient and/or dysfunctional.

I have surmised that most all sports or work activities can be broken down to any single Primal Pattern? or combination of primal patterns. Appreciating the essential role of the abdominal wall as a key stabilizer mechanism and literally the "core" of most movements, I have found that abdominal conditioning using Primal Pattern? movements is critical to long term athletic success and injury prevention!
This is the best video of the move I could find of the move on YouTube.

2 comments:

Stephan Guyenet said...

Hi Chris,

Do you know of any way to work a similar movement in the gym without damaging a wall corner or requiring a bean bag? I don't think I could get away with that exercise in my gym.

Maybe throwing a medicine ball would be similar?

Chris said...

Stephan - I'll put up a post with a couple of ideas....