Skip to main content

More on balance training

We have spoken about balance before, particularly thinking about how it can help to prevent injuries to the ankle and knee.

Here is another new study which points in the same direction.

Balance training can of course be very simple. It might sound a bit daft, but I stand on one leg as I put my socks on each day and also as I take a pee.


Balance Training Improves Function and Postural Control in Those with Chronic Ankle Instability.

Purpose: The purpose of this randomized controlled trial was to determine the effect of a 4-wk balance training program on static and dynamic postural control and self-reported functional outcomes in those with chronic ankle instability (CAI).

Methods: Thirty-one young adults with self-reported CAI were randomly assigned to an intervention group (six males and 10 females) or a control group (six males and nine females). The intervention consisted of a 4-wk supervised balance training program that emphasized dynamic stabilization in single-limb stance. Main outcome measures included the following: self-reported disability on the Foot and Ankle Disability Index (FADI) and the FADI Sport scales; summary center of pressure (COP) excursion measures including area of a 95% confidence ellipse, velocity, range, and SD; time-to-boundary (TTB) measures of postural control in single-limb stance including the absolute minimum TTB, mean of TTB minima, and SD of TTB minima in the anteroposterior and mediolateral directions with eyes open and closed; and reach distance in the anterior, posteromedial, and posterolateral directions of the Star Excursion Balance Test (SEBT).

Results: The balance training group had significant improvements in the FADI and the FADI Sport scores, in the magnitude and the variability of TTB measures with eyes closed, and in reach distances with the posteromedial and the posterolateral directions of the SEBT. Only one of the summary COP-based measures significantly changed after balance training.

Conclusions: Four weeks of balance training significantly improved self-reported function, static postural control as detected by TTB measures, and dynamic postural control as assessed with the SEBT. TTB measures were more sensitive at detecting improvements in static postural control compared with summary COP-based measures.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I really want to get into doing one-legged bodyweight squats (aka pistols) - these seem to provide the perfect mix of balance and strength training. But i am finding it difficult to let go of my barbell squat routine. I can't shake the sense that I will lose strength / mass and that the GH benfits of a savage barbell squat routine cannot be replicated with pistols. Any thoughts?
Chris said…
hi there.

I like single leg squats, but not the way they are normally done with the free leg stretched out in front. That seems unnatural to me. I prefer the free leg to be tucked under. There is a great article by Mike Boyle here on single leg training.

For balance keep it simple - stand on one leg a lot. Single leg training is really important - life is lived on one leg
Anonymous said…
Thanks Chris - great article!
Anonymous said…
Chris, a worthy topic largely under recognized from an overall fitness perspective.


methuselah, my thoughts: picture the guy in the t-nation article who is doing the supported squat (Bulgarian) doing them up on the bench instead as an unsupported single leg squat. The uninvolved leg can simply hang down in a neutral position which is advantageous for maintaining neutral hip position and the slightly unstable surface of the padding on the bench really ramps up the balance function and all important stabilizer muscle activation. I would also recommend paying attention to keeping weight distributed back toward the heal and keeping the knee behind the toes with butt traveling backward during descent. This invariably requires more forward lean in order to maintain balance and this should be minimized in pursuit of perfect form. On the plus side the large and powerful glutes are more engaged and the low back stabilizers strengthened.

You may lose some GH response with SL squats but you will not lose strength - particularly functional strength.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...