Skip to main content

Interval Training - How and Why

PACE book Review

Exercising for long periods makes your heart adept at handling a 60-minute jog, but it accomplishes this by trading in its ability to rapidly provide you with big bursts when circumstances might demand.

The real key to prevent heart disease and protect and strengthen your heart is to induce the opposite adaptive response to that produced by continuous cardio and increase your heart’s reserve capacity. Bigger, faster cardiac output more immediately available is what you really need.


From page 8 of PACE®: Rediscover Your Native Fitness

Intervals


If you look back through the archives of this blog, you'll find a fair bit about interval training. In particular there is a fair bit of research on its efficiency in terms of improving VO2 max (a sort of measure of getting out of breath when you train hard).

CrossFit Endurance is building a whole programme of training for endurance athletes around breif interval based sessions and is worth checking out.

The work that Dr Craig Duncan has done is also interesting with respect to training athletes - e.g. the 20 metre rule.

I've also pointed to Mark Sisson's writing the dangers of excessive "cardio" - Chronic Cardio

PACE

Anyway, what about the average person that wants to use intervals to get fitter and burn fat?

Craig Ballantye has some good background in his Turbulence Training material that I've promoted elsewhere.

However, I wanted to point to something that I have linked to on this blog for a long time but not really reviewed, that is Dr Sears PACE book.

I first came across Dr Sears through his book : The Doctor's Heart Cure , which is a well written and accessible look at heart disease. It challenges the conventional wisdom about cholesterol, diet and exercise, recommending a low carb, higher fat diet coupled with interval training.

None of that will be new if you read the sort of things I link to and post here. Sears calls his aproach to intervals PACE:

PACE® stands for Progressively Accelerating Cardiopulmonary Exertion. The PACE® program starts with interval training, but takes it a step further.


He introduces it in the Heart Book, but it is not the focus there - just an element of a programme he is presenting.

The PACE book (and now I understand there is a DVD too) are focussed wholly on this approach.

Some ebooks that I have bought have disapointed me. The advertising copy - which always seems to come in the same style - promises a lot while the product fails to deliver. I can assure you that the PACE book is worth it.

The ebook is 144 pages, dense with information, and explains the science behind interval training for fat loss and fitness.

It also presents a good basic calisthenics routine for strength building. It isn't aimed at athletes, but at the average person who needs to incorporate some rational training and physical activity to their life. It explains why interval training works and how to apply it.



“Cardio” has become so popular we have accepted the term as a synonym for exercise for your heart. This unfortunate misnomer is worse than a waste of your time. It only takes you further from your natural challenges and aggravates the problem. It’s not natural to repeat the same movement continuously 10,000 times over without variation or rest. It will not build heart health and does not correct for what we are lacking.

I enjoyed reading it and learned some new things as well.


Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...