Skip to main content

Hindu Pushups / Dands

I first came across this movement years ago in an article by Clarence Bass. When I first started exploring the internet, his was one of the first sites that I looked for.

I'd read all his books right back to the classic Ripped which I remember devouring as a student and adopting much of his diet and training approach.

Actually Bass' article introduced me to Matt Furey (!) and via him I found Dragon Door and Pavel's kettlebells and lots of other sites. And I suppose through Pavel I started reading things by and about Steve Maxwell. (Actually Bass has introduced me to several important figures in my training and thinking - he was the first to point to Art DeVany - here - and to Pavel.)

If you have never heard of Steve Maxwell, then you owe it to yourself to find out more. He is an inspiring trainer and martial artist. As you can see from the photo below, he has maintained a fit and efficient physique into his fifties.

His latest blog post gets us back to the Hindu Pushup. Strangely I'd not previously really noticed something basic that he points out:

You will notice there are three yogic postures passed through in each single rep:

1) downward facing dog
2) low plank/crocodile
3) upward facing dog

Indeed Steve's contention is that these yoga poses actually derive from this pushup rather than vice versa.


They are a good movement that:

strengthens the wrist; fingers; palms, neck; chest and back. It also increases flexibility and mobility in the back, hip flexors, hamstrings and calves.

Elsewhere Maxwell notes that:

Lengthening of the calves and hamstrings The all-important hamstrings, because of continual bent-leg positioning, become drastically shortened, along with the musculature of the calves. When the calf muscles are shortened and tight, a veritable cascade of problems occur in the ankles and feet, in turn transferring locomotive impact forces into the knees, hips and lower back. opening, i.e., lengthening the calf muscles is a priority in re-mediating these problems. A time-honored yoga asana, the downward-facing dog, is a thousands year-old counter-action.


There is a wealth of wisdom from Maxwell here.

Comments

msierchio said…
Wow, I haven't seen these in a long time. Hindu pushups were part of the warm-up for my Judo class, on Guam, in 1964. Very interesting, my instructor's sensei, whom he met in Japan while station there during the post-war occupation, taught this maneuver. I'm sure we all assumed it was Japanese!

Cheers,

Michael
Jay C said…
Thanks very much for posting this great all around exercise. Website is very good and I try to visit daily.

Have a great 2009.

Thanks again.

Jay
Western PA.
Anonymous said…
If you are one of the 2% of the population with glaucoma, watch out. The downward dog portion creates intra optic pressure spikes, which leads to optic nerve damage.
Also, Tamir Katz had some reservations about the grinding in the shoulders, I think some people WITHOUT vested $$$ interests in promoting Hindu Pushups might be a good source of information regarding these calisthenics.
This guy is fantastic!Very interesting, my instructor's sensei, whom he met in Japan while station there during the post-war occupation
viagra online said…
Well, what should I say? I think we need more blogger like this one because he has been posting the best material and this post is an example, I mean we can't ignore this effort and everyone can support me, specially if they've got the same inspirational feeling about it. 23jj

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...