I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon - an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy. Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in. Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently. Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus. I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK. I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...
Comments
In my opinion if you're talking about 'natural' training you have to look at the 'instinctive' responses our bodies have and work with them ...
We've got a fight response ... therefore use MMA-type training to enhance the instinct.
We've got a flight response ...
therefore use parkour-type training to enhance the instinct.
We've got a relaxation response ...
therefore use 'meditation-type training to enhance the instinct.
Just my 2 cents.
It may not be groundbreaking or unique but it is not the same as mimicking primal movements in a gym.
Kira - Before enhancing an instinct you have to remove associated negative "learned instincts".
This sort of training is more about unlearning and relearning.
'Natural Movement' as a concept clearly attempts to refocus physical training on a primal template. Nothing more and nothing less.
This gives functional ability and wider utility.
It is a welcome 'rediscovery' in a world of 'curls and crunches' and 'decorated physiques' masquerading as the epitomy of health.
Playing is natural. They would stick to that imho.
I do the same as this guy every weekend.....just in a little different setting....a large playground park with my 4 kids. We climb jump, pull up ,leap, crawl and enjoy ourselves tremendously.
Enjoyable video.
Marc
I'm trying to get an interview with the guy in the videos. I'll be interested to hear more of his thoughts.
Have you ever read Frank Forencich's book "Play as if your life depends on it? " I think you'd enjoy it.
I have not.
Going to Amazon now.
I don't know if you have this in Schotland through Amazon, but I recently paid $25 for a year membership and they ship books at no-cost for a year. It's well worth it.
Thanks Chris. I'll share my review.
Enjoy the weekend.
Marc
And as if the practical application wasn't enough, these kinds of workouts are actually FUN!