Skip to main content

Real Evolutionary Fitness

A comment from Asclepius at Natural Messiah got me thinking about this.



He pointed me to MovNat which is an updating of Methode Naturelle. I'd come across MN a few years ago - in connection to Parkour or Free Running - but had forgotten about it. Wikipedia explains:

A (Natural Method) session is composed of exercises belonging to the ten fundamental groups: walking, running, jumping, quadrupedal movement, climbing, equilibrism (balancing), throwing, lifting, defending and swimming.

The more I think about it, the more that I like this approach.

There is a blog here by a guy working on this template.

Comments

Rannoch Donald said…
Hey Chris, good stuff as usual. there are so many similar movement based systems out there. You should check out Alvaro Romano's Ginastica Natural.http://www.ginasticanatural.com.br/ingles/

Scott Sonnon has some good stuff too. No to mention the well tested Yoga route. I really should get you down to one of Gillians classes in Marchmont.

The key here is unrestricted natural movement. Paul Cheks eat Move book has lots of good info.

the truth is, freedom of movement should be available to everyone. There is no secret to it. Mobility is mobility whether it's roots are in Tai chi, yoga, zdrovye or any other movement based discipline.

Use it!

Later

Rannoch
Chris said…
Erwan - the guy in that video emailed about this post. He has given me permission to post his email as a comment.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi

I'm Erwan, founder of MovNat and the guy in both MN and MovNat video.
I want to react to the comment that was made:
"The key here is unrestricted natural movement (...) The truth is, freedom of movement should be available to everyone. There is no secret to it. Mobility is mobility whether it's roots are in Tai chi, yoga, zdrovye or any other movement based discipline."

Mobility doesn't have its roots in Tai Chi, Yoga or MovNat :). Mobility has its roots in the evolution of the human or hominid animal over the course of several million years.
Therefore, from a MovNat perspective, "natural movement" means evolutionary, i.e natural to the human animal to seize opportunities or escape threats.
It is not a traditional form, not a cultural expression, not an invention and not a free, creative expression.
There is a big difference between freedom of movement or creative movement, for instance dancing freely and performing any possible body move, and adaptive movement on the other hand.
Creative movement= any movement goes since there is no practical context or demand. Because it is not confronted to any practical demand, free movement doesn't have to be efficient but rather to conform to a conventional form or to look nice or to be enjoyable to do.
Adaptive movement= functional movement that has to be as efficient as possible in a given practical situation. It must adapt to what is at stake but doesn't need to look nice and is not necessarily enjoyable to do.
Therefore, true "natural movement" at least from my perspective is certainly not unrestricted. Not any movement goes, or else tango and salsa could be part of a natural movement training.
If it can't be justified by a practical situation and if the intention behind performing the move doesn't relate to any practical demand which makes the movement directly useful, then in my opinion is not natural. Though about any movement is good to contribute in maintaining health, without understanding this distinction "natural" would just be a meaningless label.


Best,

Erwan

--
Explore your true nature!
www.movnat.com

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...