Skip to main content

Its all in the hips.....

A few weeks ago I had a video up of Peter Consterdine demonstrating the double hip motion for getting real power into strikes.

Last night Rannoch - remember Rannoch?... there was an interview with Rannoch - led a class at Krav Maga Edinburgh looking at developing striking power and it is the same thing....it is all in the hips. - Firepower.

Here is a video of Rannoch demonstrating how to develop power. It starts at the feet, up through the hips and the whole body is involved.



One analogy that was used was the idea of firing a cannon from a canoe on water or from a solid base. In the canoe there is no foundation, no base. ...no power. With a firm foundation there is something to react against, to push from. It is basic mechanics.


The body is a single unit but sometimes we forget that. (As Dan John says "the body is one piece")

Rannoch and Marcus focussed on teaching us how to use the body as that one piece and generate real, useful power in our striking - with force coming right from the ground up. Punches aren't about your arms but you whole body from the foot through the hips to the shoulder. The techniques weren't fancy or elaborate: they were basic but without solid foundations like that you can't build anything useful.

As ever the teaching was straight forward with the techniques explained, demonstrated and then coached so that all in the class understood what we were doing.

Comments

Anonymous said…
As my son is in the middle of baseball season here in the US, it is interesting to note just how few people (even coaches) fail to realize that a powerful batting swing is, in fact, generated from the hips.
Rannoch Donald said…
Chris, thanks for the words about the class. Intersting how the same markers keep appearing.

Developing a foundation, whether it is strength, technique, structure,endurance and using that base as a platform for turning practice into perfromance.

You blog is great Chris, thanks for helping me with my homework!

Rannoch

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...