Thursday, April 16, 2009

Diet and heart disease

OK here is an interesting one. (It is epidemiology and as ever association doesn't equal causality, but it is interesting....hypothesis forming as my scientist friends tell me)


A systematic review of the evidence supporting a causal link between dietary factors and coronary heart disease.

What is associated with heart disease?

  • intake of trans-fatty acids and foods with a high glycemic index or load
What isn't:

  • total fat; alpha-linolenic acid; meat; eggs; and milk.

What is protective?

  • intake of vegetables, nuts, and "Mediterranean" and high-quality dietary patterns (whatever they are - I think lots of meat and few fruits is high quality!)
What isn't:

  • supplementary vitamin E and ascorbic acid (vitamin C);

So it sounds like: meat, eggs, milk, low carb, veggies and nuts. Don't worry about fat....don't take supplements?

4 comments:

John Kynaston said...

Thanks for your guess Chris.

My foot is not 100% but it isn't giving me any trouble since I've got the new insoles. When I'm running off road I can hardly feel it and even on the road it's fine.

After a run I can feel it a bit but it's certainly not causing any problems.

I'm looking forward to seeing how I get on in the Fling this year.

Thanks again

John

Anonymous said...

It always comes back to carbohydrates (especially the simple variety) as being the fly in the nutritional ointment.

Jordan said...

Yeah, "don't take supplements" for heart disease. But, of course, one can still take them to prevent deficiencies- which is their purpose, after all. :-)

depression medication said...

Changing your eating habits can be tough. Healthy diet will benefit your health because it can improve your breathing, help you sleep better and wake more rested and improved blood sugar levels. Eat more vegetables and fruits! Select whole grains.