Saturday, June 6, 2009

Coming soon - a review of Mark Sisson's PRIMAL BLUEPRINT


I have just received a copy of Mark Sisson's new book - The Primal Blueprint. I'll do a proper review when I've had a chance to read it properly - life is busy at the moment.

It looks superb and he takes to opportunity of the format to expand on the principles he laid out some time ago in what is a classic post: The Definitive Guide to the Primal Blueprint

The essence of the Primal Blueprint is this: Most of life is really much simpler than modern medicine and science would like to have you believe. You can have a tremendous impact on how your genes express themselves, simply by providing your cells the right environments.

Working from that position, Mark presents 10 basic laws for health:

  • Primal Blueprint Law #1: Eat Lots of Plants and Animals
  • Primal Blueprint Law #2: Avoid Poisonous Things
  • Primal Blueprint Law #3: Move Frequently at a Slow Pace
  • Primal Blueprint Law #4: Lift Heavy Things
  • Primal Blueprint Law #5: Sprint Once in a While
  • Primal Blueprint Law #6: Get Adequate Sleep
  • Primal Blueprint Law #7: Play
  • Primal Blueprint Law #8: Get Adequate Sunlight
  • Primal Blueprint Law #9: Avoid Stupid Mistakes
  • Primal Blueprint Law #10: Use Your Brain
I'm looking forward to reading the whole thing. Incidentally, probably the best recommendation so far is that my girlfriend - a notoriously sceptical scientist (she is a PhD immunologist) - was reading some of it earlier today and actually agreed with what she was reading. Normally she thinks most health and fitness books are just full of hype and empty marketing.

Here is Mark talking about the book.

4 comments:

kieraninmotion said...

Sounds similar (food wise and lifestyle wise) to what Pollan says in his book "In Defence of Food". I bought it when it came out after reading extracts in The Guardian and it was very good. Misplaced it now or I would have offered to post it to you.

http://www.michaelpollan.com/indefense.php

Alexandra said...

I got this too. Can't wait to see how our reviews match up. I was a little worried there wouldn't be "more" than on his site - but it seems there is!

Also, why has your GF not been mentioned before?? She must be a goldmine of information that you could share ;)

Rannoch Donald said...

Chris,

I think our bookshelves must look very similar! Mark's book is excellent. Clear, concise, well written and with all the science to back it up. I am 5 chapters in and really enjoying it. what I really like is the fact that the book focuses on a sustainable lifestyle rather than a bunch of prescriptions. I look forward to catching up for a couple of sessions at the park now that the decent weather is here!

Rannoch

Graeme said...

I just got the Primal Blue Print I have not read it yet,but it looks excellent and it only took around 5days to arrive from the states