Skip to main content

A Great new Paleo Blog

Kurt contacted me today to tell me about his blog which is focussing on paleo nutrition.

The Blog is at

PāNu
paleolithic nutrition - duplicating the evolutionary metabolic milieu


It is a superb resource. Kurt is a medical doctor - a radiologist - who was made aware of the paleo diet after hearing Gary Taubes speak. He is addressing a range of topics really well, including Paleo Booze, intermittent fasting and paleo on a budget.

An excellent resource that is now in my Google Reader!

Comments

dr. m.c. said…
you know there's so little evidence for the paleo anti-grain stance, i don't understand the attraction.

I can get being anti-agrarian - farming is at the root of all evil to be sure (not farmers; the city states that set it up) - but there is evidence that v.healthy people in prehistoric north america certainly grew corn for themselves over the summers (i've been on the digs and seen how well balanced the farming on the go blended with fishing for summer camps before breaking up for the winter).

So, on the archaeological evidence, it's hard to get this.

So while anyone who wants to eat this diet, go for it, and be wished joy of it, but to get into these kinds of reaching to pre-history for precedent as if that were science, isn't. The actual record doesn't support it, it seems.

PaNu doesn't rely on prehistory, but it also does not use, it seems, any research back up about digestion of grains. It asserts 'gluten grains bad'


"The evidence is that cereal grains and legumes have antinutrients with clinically significant effects, and the evidence that these are an evolutionarily recent food source supports our observation that we are poorly adapted to them."

it would be good to see the sources that actually show this.



but even without that, anything in overdose mode is problematic, and it's easy to accept that we're top heavy in such grain vs veggies and legumes.

but is there a higher issue here?

say biodiversity and sustainability of any crops that have to be grown to feed the planet. PaNu is ok with eating "grass fed" beef, right? the environmental cost of beef is incredible. So why sweat the little stuff, like one grain vs another grain?

it seems the question of food production, given nutrition needs of all, may be more critical, and yet an equally interesting place to consider best sustainable nutrition practices for everyone?

maybe?
bit of a rant.
mc
dr. m.c. said…
course i could be entirely wrong, too.

mc
Anonymous said…
"The evidence is that cereal grains and legumes have antinutrients with clinically significant effects, and the evidence that these are an evolutionarily recent food source supports our observation that we are poorly adapted to them."

"it would be good to see the sources that actually show this."

Are you being serious? You've not heard of WGA, gliadin proteins, phytates, diabetes mellitus I, rheumatoid arthritis, Multiple sclerosis, autoimmune thyroid disease, 1 B people with iron deficiency anemia, 1% of americans with celiac disease, etc., etc...

If you are an anthropologist, where is the evidence that gluten grains in their wild form were ever more than a trivial food source prior to agriculture? I've looked and cannot find such evidence, but I am open to the possibility it exists if you can direct me to it.
Chris said…
mc

there is a fair bit of research out there on the problems with grains (or at least grains that haven't been well processed - sprouted/fermented/soaked)

Have a look through Stephan's posts here:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/search/label/gluten

or the article here

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Cereal%20article.pdf
Unknown said…
I have to agree with Kurt, from my reading the evidence against grains is quite strong.

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/
which you're aware of

http://www.proteinpower.com/

http://paleodiet.com/

Neanderthin - the book by Ray Audette
Kurt G Harris said…
I plan to more completely reference the Grains essay. It was originally written for a less academic audience. I've read hundreds of pertinent abstracts articles and books but will try to put the most pertinent in as references.

You can start with Green's book on celiac disease (on my recommended list and which contains over 400 up to date references), and then read the cordain articles on his website for a start

http://www.amazon.com/Celiac-Disease-Peter-H-r-Green/dp/006076693X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245951629&sr=8-2

Here is a link to 40 Cordain articles:

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/published_research/

Here is a link to the pdf of his best review article with many references:

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Cereal%20article.pdf

Now, among the Cordain articles are some speculations tainted with the lipid hypothesis. Cordain, especially early on, tried to interpret paleo data through the lens of a stainating cardiologist.

I totally disagree with his saturated fat phobia, which is obvious if you read my other essays, but I find his cereal grain arguments pretty sound.
Anonymous said…
Grains are the root of so many health problems, especailly if diabetic. Gary Taubes has done outstanding research into the modern diet and its complications. Corn and Soy should be removed from one's diet. Oil from both sources are mad-made fakes. Eating Clean is the key.
Kurt G Harris said…
Taubes' book is listed first on my recommended list. It is a scholarly work with over 600 references and I highly recommend it.

Reading Taubes' defense of dietary fat and indictment of the sugar and white flour laden insulinogenic standard western diet got me speculating that there might be more to the negative health effects of grains than just the insulin effects.
Add me to the list of folks who think grains are not part of our natural diet. My food choices lean toward relatively low-carb fruit like avocados, tomatoes and bell peppers.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...