Skip to main content

Old School Self Defence

I've mentioned before that I go along to a class each week at Krav Maga Edinburgh. I'm no expert - still very much a novice - but it is a good laugh and a good bunch of guys. It is also good to but some fitness and training to a practical use.

Anyway, one of the things I like about the training is that it is explicitly not a martial art. It is about self defence not about some sport or esoteric method of movement or philosophy. Gross motor skills and simple movements that you could recall in the stress and adrenaline of a confrontation; hit hard - sometimes pre-emptively - and get out of there.

In the spirit of this approach I've been reading Get Tough by W E Fairbairn. This was the standard close combat manual of the British Commandos in world war two. The principles are the same: hit hard and viciously.

You can buy the book at amazon or it is also available as a pdf for free

Get Tough.

Fairbairn is fascinating.

William Ewart Fairbairn (1885–1960) was a British soldier, police officer, and exponent of hand-to-hand combat method, the Close combat, for the Shanghai police between the World Wars, and allied special forces in World War II. He developed his own fighting system known as Defendu, as well as other weapons tactics.

Here is a classic video - poor quality, but you can see some similarities with the Krav Maga approach.




and another:

Comments

Asclepius said…
"Your opponent is lying on the ground.

1. Take a flying jump at your opponent, drawing your feet up by bending your knees, at the same time keeping your feet close together (Fig. 11)

2. When your feet are pproximately eight inches above your opponent's body, shoot your legs out straight, driving both of your"

That doesn't sound like a very 'British' way to fight! What happened to Queensbury Rules and fair play?

Loving the historical value of this pdf. Good work fella.

;)
Chris said…
Not at all "British" . That is the point of the book I think. You need to lose your scruples and go in hard and vicious when it really is kill or be killed.
Marc said…
Chris,
Chris what a great vid!! More like small treasure.
Because it openly talks about what is never really talked about and what's wrong with much instruction out there. (part of my issue with teaching karate etc to kids...movement and play should be taught.....not "martial arts")
"Deceipt and trickery"
It's this area of deceipt that is the key to winning a real violent encounter.
in my art it is called "Kyojitsu Tenkan Ho" the translation is roughly "the juxtapostion between truth and falsehood.
Thanks for posting!!

Marc
Anonymous said…
"Gross motor skills and simple movements that you could recall in the stress and adrenaline of a confrontation; hit hard - sometimes pre-emptively - and get out of there."

Isn't it possible that the above IS a philosophy? Pragmatic, mechanical, result-based?
Chris said…
Ok - I meant philosophy in terms of a religious / spiritual set of doctrines. Maybe I should have said "metaphysics".

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...