Skip to main content

The Seven Hills of Edinburgh - Challenge




Somehow my hillwalking hasn't really got going this year (although there is now a weekend booked in at the start of July probably in Glenfinnan). When working on the elections I was either working at the weekend or was just too knackered to think about getting up and away early on a Saturday. Then I've been struggling to get going....

Didn't do much yesterday either - weather up north looked a bit dodgy and I had been out on Friday night. Today though I took the plunge and did something......the Seven Hills race here in Edinburgh. 14.2 miles with a total of 2200feet of climbing around Edinburgh's hills. There is no fixed course just a requirement that you need to visit each of the hills in turn, so the experts are always looking for shortcuts. It is an interesting race for that reason - you are not sure whether the guy you are following has a great route idea or is just lost.

I last did this in 2002 when I was running a bit more and was probably fitter for this type of thing. On Friday I saw it was on this weekend and started to toy with the idea of entering. Then, when I didn't do much yesterday I more or less decided to have a go.

The race starts on Calton Hill with a nice view of Arthur's Seat, the last hill, Edinburgh's own city centre mountain. After that it is

  • The Castle (esplanade)
  • Corstorphine Hill
  • Craiglockhart Hill (East)
  • Braid Hill
  • Blackford Hill
  • Arthur's Seat


I must have walked at least half of the course - all the uphills and then lots of times on the flat too - but I was happy to get around OK. It was warm and sunny too, a really nice day.

After the castle there is a long trip out to Cortorphine Hill, where I got a bit lost on the top trying to find the checkpoint. Then it is back through different residential areas before a stiff climb up Craiglockhart Hill.

Arthur's Seat at the end was a tough climb and dropping back down towards Holyrood Palace and the Parliament, my quads were sore. It is a great race though - really friendly without all the hype that goes along with many races. The support round the course was great too, including one house in Nicolson Street where a guy was giving out water and a little boy was happily spraying us with a hose.

I was about 25 minutes slower than the last time I did it, but with the total lack of training, I was happy with my time. Well....not a total lack of training, just a lack of distance running.

I tried to keep taking photos on the way round, some of which are below:


Comments

terrence said…
Thanks for the report and photos, Chris. It seems like a fair number of people take part in the Seven Hills of Edinburgh Challenge. Do you have any idea how many?
Chris said…
It was the 30th anniversary of the race and I think that attracted a few more runners. There were over 330 this year.
Methuselah said…
Chris - sounds (and looks) fantastic. Reminds me of the Langdale Horseshoe I once did (14.2 miles, 4000'). I am planning to do Skiddaw (Lakes) in a couple of weeks, but walk the whole thing. As you know, depending on the average gradient, this can actually make it easier, although probably not in this case - but I want to have the joy of fell running without the physical consequences of 90 minutes of sustained high effort cardio. The terrain for Skiddaw is mixed so I think I will manage to come about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way down the field... will report experiences on the Training blog.
Chris said…
Methuselah - It was good. Regarding walking, I think I walked at least 60-70% of the course. On the uphills I was faster than some people who were determined to keep running but were takign tiny little steps. If my running frm was breaking down - posture collapsing and bending over - I preferred to walk, keeping my posture erect.


To improve my time I woudl have needed to run a lto mroe on the flats. Still it was a nice day out. Quads are sore today though!
This sounds like great fun. The randomness of the route makes it seem like more of an adventure. I've done a lot of hill training for mountain ultrarunning this year, and my quads have gotten much stronger. They don't get trashed anymore unless there is a lot of fast descent. I'm often too lazy to run up hills if they're steep, but can manage for a while if the grade is modest. Short steps help, but walking is probably more efficient anyway, so why bother unless you are really in a hurry? Some people can powerwalk up a hill faster than I can run anyway! Alternating walking and running is a nice way to go, depending on how hard an effort you want to put in.

Anyway, my gluts and hamstrings are much stronger after all this hill climbing, but they are often sore. Any suggestions?

Cynthia
Anonymous said…
...and fantastic scenery as well! Beautiful country!

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...