Skip to main content

Exercise makes you hungry

Taubes said this a while ago. It is about diet.... you can't outrun a dodgy diet.

however it is worth reading what mc has to say

josef also has something to say....



a) exercise makes you hungry so you end up taking in more calories after you exercise because you overestimate how much you burned and
b) you justify eating more because "muscle burns more fat calories than fat".

Comments

dr. m.c. said…
hi chris,
how's the toe?

i just don't buy taube's argument on exercise and that's why folks overeat: they underestimate how many calories they've burned.

Phooey.

Hormones released during exercise leave
us sated after a workout

BUT
folks who are already overweight likely have over-eating habits: eat for a variety of habits and homeostatic responses.

AND
we are sold all the time on eating around workouts:
during a workout recovery drink
after workout recovery drink
before a workout drink

very little is said about doing this relative to our needs/calories burned.

poor folks at the gym didn't come up with these arguments about muscle and fat burning and post workout recovery.

this whole focus on diet vs exercise is relevant to make the point diet first, but we still have to come up a level: why is diet so hard?

and help with that.
we are creatures of habit for a reason :)

mc

ps
there's also lots of ways to add in exercise - i'm really sick to the teeth of folks tauting this the "one true way" to best workout for fat loss too. once we start to get a handle on metabolism and its rich complexity the best we can do is say that well doing this we found that. The more studies i read the more difficult it becomes to support Generalizations regarding practice beyond some pretty high level points.

1) change is hard; change is pain - it's rewiring and we happen to do that change via lots and lots of practice.

2) to move is good; to move more is better on a ton of levels. anything more than that is sweating the details

3) michael pollen, while i don't agree with a lot of what he's said has a lovely summery: eat food, mostly plants.

i'd say generally speaking that if you want to lose weight:
- change is hard: prepare for change before attempting it :)
- eat less; mostly plants
- move more - it doesn't have to be huge. start with mobility
- more will come
- be patient with yourself: we have the rest of our lives to get this right :)

sorry for the rant

hope the foot's ok and that ya got a chance to see the sun while it was out on the weekend
dr. m.c. said…
and here's a study to back this up about satiety as well

Proc Nutr Soc. 2008 Feb;67(1):28-41.
Related Articles, Links
Click here to read
Effects of exercise and restrained eating behaviour on appetite control.

Martins C, Robertson MD, Morgan LM.

Division of Nutrition, Dietetics and Food Sciences, Faculty of Biomedical and Molecular Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford GU2 7XH, UK. C.Martins@surrey.ac.uk

Obesity is a global epidemic; increased consumption of energy-dense food and reduced physical activity levels are likely to be the main drivers. Previous cross-sectional research has shown that sedentary males, unlike their active counterparts, are unable to compensate for previous energy intake (EI). Using a longitudinal design a 6-week exercise intervention was found to improve short-term appetite control, leading to a more 'sensitive' eating behaviour in response to previous EI, both acutely at a test meal and for the next 24 h. Although the mechanisms whereby acute and chronic exercise improves short-term appetite remain unknown, post-ingestive satiety peptides are likely to be involved. Acute exercise was found to increase postprandial levels of polypeptide YY, glucagon-like peptide-1 and pancreatic polypeptide but to have no impact on ghrelin, suggesting that exercise can trigger physiological changes in satiety hormone secretion that could help in appetite control and weight maintenance. In the context of an increased availability of highly-palatable food, dietary restraint may be increasingly important. Although restraint has been associated with abnormal eating behaviour, in the laboratory no counter-regulation was found in restrained eaters when presented with a buffet meal 60 min after a high-energy preload or when a pasta-meal was presented 3 h after preloading. Although restraint was not found to impact on polypeptide YY or TAG, lower postprandial glucose and insulin plasma levels were observed in restrained eaters, together with increased feelings of fullness. In conclusion, short-term appetite control seems to be favourably modified by exercise, while the impact of restraint on appetite seems to be more complex.


mc
Chris said…
thanks mc

the toe is improving. The bruising is gone and it is OK for walking but I gave Krav Maga a miss this week - it is still very sore if it gets banged

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...