Skip to main content

Eating late at night adds weight...or is it eating at the wrong time?


Given my interest in intermittent fasting I found this article and report interesting. ( some modes of IF - e.g. the Warrior diet - sees you just having one big meal at night)

The BBC reported that:

Late-night snackers are more likely to gain weight, research suggests.

Although strictly speaking, that is not really what the science said. The study says this:

Studies of body weight regulation have focused almost entirely on caloric intake and energy expenditure. However, a number of recent studies in animals linking energy regulation and the circadian clock at the molecular, physiological, and behavioral levels raise the possibility that the timing of food intake itself may play a significant role in weight gain. The present study focused on the role of the circadian phase of food consumption in weight gain. We provide evidence that nocturnal mice fed a high-fat diet only during the 12-h light phase gain significantly more weight than mice fed only during the 12-h dark phase. A better understanding of the role of the circadian system for weight gain could have important implications for developing new therapeutic strategies for combating the obesity epidemic facing the human population today.

So feed nocturnal mice in the day and they get fatter than if you feed them in the dark. The take home from this according to the journalists is that it is not just what you eat but when you eat it that matters.

Here is more from the BBCs view of this:

Deanna Arble, lead author of the study, said: "One of our research interests is shift workers, who tend to be overweight.

"This got us thinking that eating at the wrong time of day might be contributing to weight gain."
The experiment looked at two groups of mice over a six-week period. Both groups were fed a high-fat diet, but at different times of the mice "waking cycle".

One group of mice ate at times when they would normally be asleep. They put on twice as much weight. This was despite them doing the same level of activity, and eating the same amount of food, as the other mice.

Interesting.

So when is it natural for us to eat? In the day......or at night? after the hunt? When is the right time and when is wrong?

Comments

PJNOIR said…
Eating at night is natural for me. I fast during the day and eat in the evening. I have not gained weight- I'm losing body fat. It would be the afternoon meals that I don't need that would put increase my calorie count.
Mary Titus said…
I think that fasting is important. It doesn't matter what time you eat what matters is the length of time between meals. If I were to have a midnight snack, I would not eat before 8:00 the next evening. I am confident that I would not gain any weight by eating at midnight. I definietely would expect to gain if I had a midnight snack then eat breakfast at 7:00 AM.Yet, that's what many people do, as if to think that the midnight meal was somehow invisible. As long as I use my "inner-Spock" and think logically I can lose weight and remain healthy.

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...