Skip to main content

Traditional diet is best for Eskimos

This reminds me of that documentary my Big Fat Diet

Dietary Patterns are Linked to Cardiovascular Risk Factors but Not to Inflammatory Markers in Alaska Eskimos.

Our data show that the traditional diet is related to a better profile of cardiovascular disease risk factors and should be encouraged.


The traditional diet is described as:

fish, native sea and land mammals and their fats and oils, wild greens, stew with mostly meat, stew with mostly rice or noodles, native birds, wild berries, and native berry agutuk. This diet scored low in candy bars, sugar, syrup, store-bought nonhydrogenated vegetable fats, peanut butter, milk, cheese, ice cream, and nondairy creamer.
(not sure how rice or noodles are traditional to the Eskimo....but we'll let that one go)

Click on image to make it bigger.

Roughly 50% carbs, 15% protein and 35% fat..... still not sure abou all those carbs.

To be honest looking at the diets the macro percentages are not that different....one thing that does stand out is that the traditional diet is the least processed. The "healthy" one has more grains and beans.

Not quite sure what this one tells us to be honest!

Comments

jon w said…
I've got the pdf, shoot me your email if you want it. jwin74 at g mail

Participants following factor 1, the “traditional” diet, consumed fish, native sea and land mammals and their fats and oils, wild greens, stew with mostly meat, stew with mostly rice or noodles, native birds, wild berries, and native berry agutuk.
jon w said…
strange the amount of trans fat in the "traditional diet"... and total energy intakes are incredibly low!? makes me wonder if the surveys were accurate...

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...