Skip to main content

More on motor learning.....your brain is plastic

One of the things that this blog has recorded my thoughts about recently has been the idea of skill development vs strength development. Strength development is one thing, but in order to be good at your sport or activity you need to practice the specific skills involved. There has been a lot written on motor learning which is fascinating to study. Some of the interesting stuff is of how there is little transfer between similar movements.

This area of skill development came up in today's seminar with mc - which I will write more of soon (it was excellent) - but I also came across this today which is relevant to the discussions:

Study shows new brain connections form rapidly during motor learning

New connections begin to form between brain cells almost immediately as animals learn a new task, according to a study published this week in Nature. Led by researchers at the University of California, Santa Cruz, the study involved detailed observations of the rewiring processes that take place in the brain during motor learning.

When you are learning a new physical skill, you are re-wiring your brain....and to some degree this is permanent.

"It's a remodeling process in which the synapses that form during learning become consolidated, while other synapses are lost," Zuo said. "Motor learning makes a permanent mark in the brain. When you learn to ride a bicycle, once the motor memory is formed, you don't forget. The same is true when a mouse learns a new motor skill; the animal learns how to do it and never forgets."


Interesting stuff. You need to learn the skill....but that learning gets hardwired into the brain and stays there. As mc said today, the nervous system is plastic.

Comments

Unknown said…
The idea of learning *new* skills this way is one thing, and the first poster makes a good point about it being a bit obvious. But I wonder about the application of this to *improving* at a skill you already have. For example, Pavel often talks about "greasing the groove" by doing a high volume of sub-maximal reps with an exercise. Is this an application of the above?
pieter d said…
Chris,

Frank from Exuberant Animal posted an interesting presentation on motor control and variation

http://blog.exuberantanimal.com/archives/the-value-of-play-diversity-and-randomness

might be interesting

Pieter
Chris said…
Chainey - well spotted, the "literally" thing annoys me too. I have removed it.
Chad said…
Hi Chris. This is part of my training concept...the idea that the brain is pliable. The brain releases the same learning proteins and chemicals while performing (learning) a complex motor skill, as it does learning math, or another language. Dr. John Ratey did research for this in his practice, and many school systems across America have implemented his research in their classrooms...FINALLY! The book is called "Spark." I highly recommend it. Nice post (as always!)
Chad said…
Brahma:
Yes, it is a similar concept. Doing thousands of reps (correctly) at a very submax level will stimulate more thorough, stronger, quicker neurological connections in the brain. Just like your brain creating memory pathways when learning math...isn't 2 + 2 always 4? But we had to learn that by repeatedly doing the homework. Submax exercises are the homework from which we can apply more intense (higher weight) efforts...IMO.
Richard Nikoley said…
Like riding a bike.

I fly hang-gliders, sailplanes & power. I've had a year or more go in-between flights, sometimes, but it just never seems to matter. Far more important than the "muscle memory" are safety procedures.

Oh, on "literally" abuse:

http://literally.barelyfitz.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...