Skip to main content

Speed Development through strenghth training




I interviewed Luke a few months ago.

Comments

The video says it's important to "intend" to exercise.

Shucks, I'm already half-way there. For years, I've been intending to start a new diet "tomorrow."

Now I'm adding a new exercise routine.

I intend to exercise tomorrow.

Serious;y, though, it is an interesting video. Thanks!
Chris said…
Nice one Jim

Chris
Steven Low said…
Ever read this article?

For the most part, the same thing except actually applied:

http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?rm=mode3&articleid=269
Bryce said…
I initially believed that fast lifting was necessery to strengthen the fast twitch muscle fibers.

While guys like Doug McGuff have convinced me that speed isn't necessary to develop the fast twitch musculature, I think overspeed training and and explosive training can contribute greatly to reinforcing and improving your central nervous system's ability to innervate and activate more muscle fibers.

No one person will ever be able to fire every single one of the muscle fibers at one time (a safety mechanism), but while we can make those muscle fibers strongest with slower training, isn't it possible that faster training may help us to reach our fullest potential for gross muscle fiber activation?

-Bryce
Anonymous said…
2 things that were left off the table, here: actual power output per rep and cns stimulation. Luke's argument sounds plausible, in theory; the playing fields, however, are littered with the carcasses of athletes thusly trained. Really, isn't this just the old, Weider, pre-exhaust principle - in a more intellectual wrapping? I do agree with the intent to move a load as fast as possible - however, imho, that must be balanced with an actual,sizable power output.

Just my opinion, of course :)
Steven Low said…
theorytopractice:

Clearly.

Obviouly you have to get faster you have to get strong (or rather at least have the CNS + musculature in place), THEN train it through actual sprinting and plyometrics to improve output.
Chris said…
@Steven - thanks. I've Read Ross' Bear powered stuff before - I think I have his book somewhere. His arguments are indeed similar, although some might argue with the use of plyometrics. From what I have seen, the case is not fully made for using them to develop strength. As skill training maybe

@Keith - CNS I do wonder if this is application of strength, skill training if you like. Similarly with force development.

I know a guy who is a competitive sprinter and trains with members of the British squad. They do weights but most of the training is skill based - form drills, actual running. Plus some plyometrics - bounding etc. Incidentally, like most sprinters he seems to be injured about 70% of the time with pulls, hernias and tears.
Steven Low said…
Yeah, the plyos are for speed development, not specifically strength.

Although most of the Parkour guys who get strong are doing most of their stuff plyometrically from just practicing. However, I would not advocate this style of development... leads to too many injuries, and is much slower than strength training.
Daniel Goldberg said…
I would believe Luke's argument more if he wasn't demonstrating on such a horrible machine. I know a few orthopedists who believe that knee extensions aren't only a worthless exercise with respect to performance but that they are actually detrimental to the knee.

Also, Olympic lifters traditionally have some of the highest vertical leaps recorded and they do mostly explosive movements. It would seem that Luke has an opinion that is not supported by much of the industry when he says that cleans are actually sending the body a signal to go slower to something like that. Everything I have read about explosive movements says that they help the body recruit more motor units and increase rate coding.
Chris said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said…
Dan


this is where it gets interesting.

Leg extension is useless for performance? - the argument that we are proposing is that all exercises are directly in some ways useless for performance. They are only good at making you stronger. Performance is about skill, applying the strength.


RE Olympic lifters. Yes they are explosive and jump high. I wonder which comes first? There may of course be a big selection bias. Maybe the good olympic lifters are those who are naturally explosive and would be that way irrespective of their training. Perhaps it is not their training that makes them explosive but their explosiveness that is what makes them suited for lifting?

I have read about explosive movements too and it is not as straightforward as you make out.


It is interesting.....and complex
Chris said…
the debate continues in the next post...

Popular posts from this blog

Dry January

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was taking part in "Dry January".  I didn't make a big song and dance about it, but I decided to go for a calendar month or so with no alcohol.  A few people have asked me about my experience, so here are a few points. Why take a break from drinking? Alcohol is an interesting topic.  As a drug it is widely accepted in society, central to so much of our socialising and leisure.  There seem to be lots of health benefits - so we are told - yet there are also a lot of problems in terms of health, relationships and lifestyle that come from drinking. Over a few years I'd begun to become aware and then concerned that I was drinking too much and too regularly.  I am in a busy and stressful job and sometimes a glass of wine after work to relax is really helpful.  But over time, one glass became two.  Two glasses became ....I might as well finish the bottle.  A habit got established....and was starting to get too e...

So where have I been?

You will have noticed that this blog has been quiet for a while....  There are a few reasons for that, reasons that I thought I'd list here: WORK -  my day job has been incredibly busy and stressful this year. Working 10-14 hour days the last thing on my mind when I got home was putting something on here.  FACEBOOK/TWITTER - I suppose I've been using other channels to do some of what I used to do here. Quick fire posts pointing to interesting studies or news etc tend to get posted to Twitter (@chrishighcock) or to the Facebook Hillfit group http://www.facebook.com/groups/263083947097000/  REASSESSMENT - I've found myself less comfortable with some of the positions I've taken in the past. Sometimes I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've promoted. I'm not Paleo or low carb. I think Tabata and intervals are misunderstood and misapplied. I cannot really claim to be HIT.   I find myselfunable  honestly to post things on here and pretend that I am some sort o...

Taking up space for a brief update

I've a couple of posts in draft that I will get up soon -  an update / reflection on Dry January and some thoughts on the scheduling benefits of short workouts if your life is busy.  Before that though, I am pointing to something else. However, I wanted to highlight something that is coming this weekend that I've been involved in.   Amber Rogers (Gokaleo and author of Taking Up Space ) has been pulling together a bundle of books from various authors with a common theme, one that I've been pushing here recently.   Keep it simple, avoid the hype, be patient, be consistent and flee the gurus.   I've talked before about how we get obsessed with pushing for more and more, when enough is OK.  I've given my view that so much of the health and fitness internet world is more like a gnostic religion than something that will benefit your life. There are other voices out there saying similar things and I'll be pointing to a bundle of books later this week ...